Question regarding Tiers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question regarding Tiers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:34 pm

I understand the rankings and the tier system. However, I've strolled through some of the stats of schools in T3/T4. Some of the admission statistics of T4 schools are higher, the same, or just barely underneath (by one point on LSAT, and <.1 on GPA) the admission stats of T3s. Some of the bar passage rates are higher at T4s than T3s. Do admissions coordinators take note of this? I know rankings matter, but aren't the admissions people trying to measure your level of success based on the people that attended your school.

Take the John Marshall Law School Chicago for instance, they had 6 transfer enrolled into GULC last year. 3rd most and just underneath AmericanU and George Mason. On paper they're a T4, however, their admission stats are the same if not better, than many of the T3s (Instead of using the US World News reported stats I went to each schools and looked at their posted stats).

So do committees only care about T3/T4 rankings or do they actually look at admissions stats?

Capitol_Idea

Re: Question regarding Tiers

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 pm

I was under the impression that rankings don't matter for transfer applications - it doesn't count one way or another on the transferee school's NALP reporting, right? I think they're just looking for another wallet to get cash from - probably not super picky on arbitrary things like T3/T4 rank distinctions that literally no one cares about.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 pm

zacharus85 wrote:I was under the impression that rankings don't matter for transfer applications - it doesn't count one way or another on the transferee school's NALP reporting, right? I think they're just looking for another wallet to get cash from - probably not super picky on arbitrary things like T3/T4 rank distinctions that literally no one cares about.

I would agree. Once you get below the "Tier-1" schools, so long as you're not at one of the more notorious dumpster fires (Cooley, any of the InfiniLaw schools, etc.) I would imagine the distinction is largely irrelevant.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:15 pm

zacharus85 wrote:I was under the impression that rankings don't matter for transfer applications - it doesn't count one way or another on the transferee school's NALP reporting, right? I think they're just looking for another wallet to get cash from - probably not super picky on arbitrary things like T3/T4 rank distinctions that literally no one cares about.

Rankings matter a lot for transfer applications actually, but yea I can't imagine it mattering as much on the lower end.

Return to “Transfers”