Is it worth it to transfer from GW to Georgetown?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it worth it to transfer from GW to Georgetown?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Currently at top 15% at GW - let's say worst case scenario I drop to top 20%.

First question: Would I get into Georgetown?

Second question: Is it worth it? I want to do biglaw, have no scholarship at GW. On one skills board, still waiting on moot court and journal. Don't particularly like GW - So the way I see it is, I lose one skills board and possibly moot court and journal in exchange for Georgetown's ranking/employment statistics. So, do you think it is worth it?

Also would like any other predictions of where I may get in at top 20% at GW.

laxstar1

Re: Is it worth it to transfer from GW to Georgetown?

Postby laxstar1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:23 pm

I transferred here (not from GW) but this is my feeling:

1) Yes.

2) Probably not. If you have no scholarship then I guess it's not like you're leaving money on the table. Truthfully, I don't think you're going to gain much as a transfer-- my understanding is that top 15% or 20% puts you in pretty good shape at GW. You'll be a big fish in a small pond there, whereas here you'll just be another fish in an ocean.

3) My suggestion would be to go ahead and apply...you really have nothing to lose. When you get in, you may have some leverage to get some money from GW. If they don't offer you money, then I guess you'll have a decision on your hands.

ATLgroupie

Postby ATLgroupie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:07 pm

In the same boat...so all of these issues are of interest to me.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Also interested in early admission (EA) chances at GULC and at Chicago as 10-15% at GW (I'm guessing just outside 10%).

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm

You could get in to GULC, but would probably get little benefit from it. GULC takes waaaaay too many transfers, and a lot from GW. Moreover, for hiring purposes, the firms that care also will know you came from GW first and factor that in.

I echo the big fish/small pond language from an earlier post. Transferring to GULC is just choosing a different person to pay way too much money to. It doesn't likely help you much.

CurvedSurface

Postby CurvedSurface » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Maybe put in an application to Georgetown and then use the acceptance as leverage for $$ from GW. I know you're already a student there, but from GW's perspective, you're probably worth keeping at a discount rate if the alternative is no tuition dollars from you at all (and it seems like you could credibly present that as the case).

celtslaw

Postby celtslaw » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:32 pm

ATLgroupie wrote:In the same boat...so all of these issues are of interest to me.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Also interested in early admission (EA) chances at GULC and at Chicago as 10-15% at GW (I'm guessing just outside 10%).

Did you already apply? Otherwise you missed the boat on GULC EA.

ATLgroupie

Postby ATLgroupie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Applied to both...in the waiting phase and just appreciative of anecdotes/opinions.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Why not look at other T14s also? The transfer market is booming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Jchance wrote:Why not look at other T14s also? The transfer market is booming.

Original OP here - I definitely will, but I'm worried if my grades drop that Georgetown might be my only option.

Return to “Transfers”