Transfer from UCLA to Northwestern?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cubs_fan69

Transfer from UCLA to Northwestern?

Postby cubs_fan69 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:10 am

I am a 1L at UCLA and some personal circumstances have changed since I chose schools, and I want to move back home to Chicago. I'd hope to be there after school too. I'll be applying to UC, but I'm trying to decide whether Northwestern would be worth it if I don't get in to UC.

We can conservatively assume I'll be top ~20% after spring grades. I am on pace to graduate with ~60K debt. My COL and non-tuition expenses are paid wherever I go, and I might be able to arrange some lower interest loans to avoid Gradplus interest. So at Northwestern I'd graduate with ~140K tops. Also as all expenses are paid, assuming I don't strike out, 2L summer salary would go straight to debt, so I'd graduate with a good bit less than 140. Same goes for first year in practice, as my spouse can still cover COL.

want to start in biglaw, ideally lit, then go mid/smalllaw or govt long-term. Ideally want to be in chicago but would be happy in most other midwest cities. Wouldn't complain about a short stint in NYC.

would it make sense?
Last edited by cubs_fan69 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ILoveYou

Re: UCLA to Northwestern?

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:20 am

What are your goals? I'm NU bound, and I'd say 140k is at the top end of what I would consider acceptable debt, but that's for me. Wanting to practice in Chicago, NU isn't a bad option at all, but how much debt is worth it is going to depend pretty heavily on what you want to do/what you realistically will be able to do after graduation.

cubs_fan69

Postby cubs_fan69 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:28 am

[moved to op]
Last edited by cubs_fan69 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am

Then, yeah, I think NU for 140K debt at graduation is about as good as you're going to get in your circumstances. You'd have a hard time arguing that NU's placement in Chicago isn't every bit as good as UChi's, and I wouldn't trust any other Chicago law school to land you biglaw.

cubs_fan69

Postby cubs_fan69 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks for your feedback. Are you a 0L? (not to discount your advice)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:39 am

With connections to the area and the low amount of debt you'd accumulate, I think transferring is a solid option for you. Transfers did fine at OCI for my class.

cubs_fan69

Postby cubs_fan69 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:57 am

bjsesq wrote:With connections to the area and the low amount of debt you'd accumulate, I think transferring is a solid option for you. Transfers did fine at OCI for my class.

cool, thanks for your feedback

Return to “Transfers”