Transferring to a new city

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring to a new city

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Advice about the logistics of moving with a month's notice? I'm planning on applying to schools in my current city as well as a few different cities, so I guess I'll have about a month or so to decide and make the move. Does anyone have any experience with this - finding a place on such short notice, etc.? I hope to have a game plan in place before I hear back from schools.

Cookies12

Re: Transferring to a new city

Postby Cookies12 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:40 pm

It really all depends on the city. In order to find a place in a new city it only takes one weekend of looking. But the variable would be when a place would be available for you once you have looked. So big cities like NYC, DC and the like would be fast moving rentals so a month's notice would be fine. But other cities may be different.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Just search for apartments before you hear back and have a few buildings in mind so that you can jump on it as soon as you get word. When I made the move last summer, had I waited even two more days to contact apartments I wouldn't have gotten into the building I'm in because everything in my price range "sold out" that quickly.

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:46 pm

After I got in, I took a few days off from work, traveled to my new city and did a whirlwind apartment tour. The day you get your acceptance, start calling brokers and scouting craigslist. It'll be a hectic process, but you'll be fine.

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:16 pm

^^^^^

Can't recommend that enough. Jumped into a 9-month lease sight unseen and it's been the worst part of 2L.

ms2dai

Postby ms2dai » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Kinda off topic but how do you go about securing a place with no job. Assuming you will be attending full-time.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:19 pm

ms2dai wrote:Kinda off topic but how do you go about securing a place with no job. Assuming you will be attending full-time.

Sometimes the building management will take your financial aid award in lieu of proof of income. IME, it's best to be upfront with how you'll be financing your living expenses so you don't end up wasting a bunch of time looking at a property that won't work with you on that.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:39 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
ms2dai wrote:Kinda off topic but how do you go about securing a place with no job. Assuming you will be attending full-time.

Sometimes the building management will take your financial aid award in lieu of proof of income. IME, it's best to be upfront with how you'll be financing your living expenses so you don't end up wasting a bunch of time looking at a property that won't work with you on that.

Yea IME showing them the financial aid/loans was fine and I'm K-JD.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:^^^^^

Can't recommend that enough. Jumped into a 9-month lease sight unseen and it's been the worst part of 2L.

I jumped into a month-to-month lease with a roommate (someone posting on craigslist) and it has been a fine experience. Though, I skyped with my now-roommate and she gave me a tour of the place (via skype).

The move is a pain in the ass, but you'll be able to flow with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Does anyone have experience specifically transferring to NYC from out-of-state?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience specifically transferring to NYC from out-of-state?

I do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Did you apply for student housing or find an apartment? What was your experience like?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Found off campus apartment via craigslist. Skyped instead of in person viewing. Signed a month to month with my roommate (instead of putting myself on the lease) because I knew I was heading back to DC at the end of 2L and didn't want to mess with all the bullshit that is involved in getting on a lease.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Transfers”