Tailoring resume for admissions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tailoring resume for admissions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

I have a few misc resume questions if anyone has any thoughts to share:

-Anything special anyone would recommend doing to tailor your resume away from employment/toward admissions? Anything in particular you should try to emphasize or build out here that you wouldn't for employment?
-Should you remove the "interests" line?
-For your anticipated summer employment, should you leave the description blank, or put a generic line about what you expect to do? I assume the former?

Thanks

Nebby

Re: Tailoring resume for admissions

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a few misc resume questions if anyone has any thoughts to share:

-Anything special anyone would recommend doing to tailor your resume away from employment/toward admissions? Anything in particular you should try to emphasize or build out here that you wouldn't for employment?
-Should you remove the "interests" line?
-For your anticipated summer employment, should you leave the description blank, or put a generic line about what you expect to do? I assume the former?

Thanks

My resume was the same resume I used for applying to 1L summer jerbs. The only difference was I put where I was going 1L summer on my resume to law schools.

Such as:

BigFed Agency, Summer 2014 (forthcoming)
Law Clerk Washington, DC

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"
[/quote]
You're assumption is correct for any future employment. As in Nebby's post, just Firm/Agency name, position title, location, date, and "forthcoming," "scheduled," or the like.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:54 pm

I guess I don't really understand why you would tailor it away from employment, considering your employability is essentially what will get you accepted (albeit largely in the form of good grades). I think anything you can do to highlight your employability is best.

I guess I just don't understand how you'd tailor your resume "toward admissions."

Return to “Transfers”