bother with write on at 1L school?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

bother with write on at 1L school?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 pm

thoughts?

Nebby

Re: bother with write on at 1L school?

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thoughts?

What are your stats? If they are good enough that you know you're going to be out of that joint, then enjoy the free-time while others are stressing over the write-on.

Last spring I had for-sure transfer stats, and I said fuccccccckk the stupid write-on. Any prospective transfer that does a write-on solely to put on their resume, "Invited to TTT law review" is just a striver goober. (My school didn't have a grade on option, so obviously for people invited solely on grades they don't have to worry about it. But even then putting it on your resume is still pointless because "duh of course you were invited, if you could transfer then that means you also had stellar grades.")

Related story: At OCI I had one interviewer ask me about law review. I told them that I did not do it because I didn't want to take a spot from someone when I knew I was transferring. I got a CB from that interviewer.

timesnewboston

Postby timesnewboston » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Op here. Top 20% at 40-60. Honestly expected to be below median last semester, I really didn't study or read the second half of semester and got depressed thinking I sucked at law school. Just watched the Barbra videos before the exams and took them without outlines or practice tests. rhetoric was my lowest grade, didn't even turn some assignments in. Busting ass now to move up to top 10%, hopefully xfer up to t14. Also interested in Vandy, since people are in general easier to impress in those medium markets like atlanta, minneapolis, etc.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:thoughts?

What are your stats? If they are good enough that you know you're going to be out of that joint, then enjoy the free-time while others are stressing over the write-on.

Last spring I had for-sure transfer stats, and I said fuccccccckk the stupid write-on. Any prospective transfer that does a write-on solely to put on their resume, "Invited to TTT law review" is just a striver goober. (My school didn't have a grade on option, so obviously for people invited solely on grades they don't have to worry about it. But even then putting it on your resume is still pointless because "duh of course you were invited, if you could transfer then that means you also had stellar grades.")

Related story: At OCI I had one interviewer ask me about law review. I told them that I did not do it because I didn't want to take a spot from someone when I knew I was transferring. I got a CB from that interviewer.

Striver goober here; for obvious reasons I disagree with Nebby, which I'm sure will come as a shock to anyone who's read other threads in the transfer forum.

By the way, if you get invited to LR and turn it down right away (generally they issue invites after you hear back from your transfer target schools, making it easier to turn it down right away), they give your spot to someone else; after all they need their cite checkers come fall.

And sure, you can tell an interviewer that you turned it down so someone else could have the slot, but if you transfer to a school that's not 100% lottery, you have to get that interview before you can whip out your clever comment.

transferror

Postby transferror » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Nebby, IIRC, you got admitted GULC early action, so not only did you have transfer secure grades, but you had an actual acceptance before the write on.

OP, top 20% after first semester means you'll have a chance but you don't have "for-sure" transfer grades. You could easily move into the top 15% or drop outside the top 25%, and you almost certainly won't know until after the write on. So just do it.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Another striver goober here. I did the write-on at mine, and I think it's a good idea to do it. Mainly, as transferror said, you won't have your spring grades back before the competition so you'll have no way of knowing whether you'll be able to transfer or not. Second, if you do end up with good enough grades and do transfer out, a lot of places have fall write-ons for transfer students for the law review. While it sucked doing the write-on at my old school knowing I was gone if the grades worked out, having a "practice" write-on under my belt was kind of nice when it came time for the transfer write-on at the new school.

Return to “Transfers”