Letter of good standing and LSAC?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Letter of good standing and LSAC?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 am

Noob questions about letter of good standing:

How do I get this? Who am I supposed to see?

Does this get sent to LSAC or directly to the schools? I have seen conflicting information. One of the schools I will apply to states it prefers to receive everything through LSAC.

Nebby

Re: Letter of good standing and LSAC?

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:33 am

Registrar of your current school sends it to prospective schools. What school requires this? Normally schools require a Dean's certification.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:59 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Registrar of your current school sends it to prospective schools. What school requires this? Normally schools require a Dean's certification.

OP here- I thought so top and have been confused. Here are 3 schools seeking a letter of good standing:

GW wants "A letter from the dean of the applicant’s law school, stating that he or she is in good academic standing."

Notre Dame wants a "Letter of Good Standing (This letter should include class rank if applicable for your current law school.)" and prefers to receive everything through LSAC.

Penn wants a "Letter of good standing from the law school dean at the current law school"

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 am

CounselorNebby wrote:Registrar of your current school sends it to prospective schools. What school requires this? Normally schools require a Dean's certification.

Penn, UT, USC, among many many others, though obviously that would include schools that people should not be transferring to. At some point I assume you will realize that you don't know absolutely every single thing about the transfer process and will stop asking questions that seem to challenge an applicant's very understanding of the application they're working on.

OP: Whether the app specifies a letter of good standing "from the dean of your current school" or a dean's cert, you'll just have to check with your dean's office. Often (perhaps even more often than not) the dean's office has delegated that task to the registrar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 am

OP here - thanks for the info.

I was just informed that my current school will not send a letter of good standing until spring grades come out -- which won't be until Late May or early June. I intended to apply as soon as the apps opened. Anyone else run into a similar issue?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - thanks for the info.

I was just informed that my current school will not send a letter of good standing until spring grades come out -- which won't be until Late May or early June. I intended to apply as soon as the apps opened. Anyone else run into a similar issue?

From what I understand you can apply then submit your grades as soon as they come out. Harvard even lets you submit an "unofficial" transcript to be corroborated by an official one. I'm pretty sure most schools recommend that you apply as soon as possible to expedite the application process. The best thing to do is check the FAQ pages under the transfer application section of a school's website.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:53 pm

BVest wrote:

Penn, UT, USC, among many many others, though obviously that would include schools that people should not be transferring to. At some point I assume you will realize that you don't know absolutely every single thing about the transfer process and will stop asking questions that seem to challenge an applicant's very understanding of the application they're working on.

OP: Whether the app specifies a letter of good standing "from the dean of your current school" or a dean's cert, you'll just have to check with your dean's office. Often (perhaps even more often than not) the dean's office has delegated that task to the registrar.

I asked the question not to challenge, but rather to discern where OP was intending to apply, in case it was some place, as you point out, OP shouldn't be transferring to.

bblas

Postby bblas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Is this a form I print off LSAC or the particular school's website? Or do I get the form from my current school?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm

The letter is sent from your LS registrar office to the law school you're applying to. Go there and say "I need a letter of good standing." Or you can email your registrar asking the same.

bblas

Postby bblas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:The letter is sent from your LS registrar office to the law school you're applying to. Go there and say "I need a letter of good standing." Or you can email your registrar asking the same.

Thank you!

Return to “Transfers”