What GPA/Class Rank Needed for HYS + Columbia from T-20?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What GPA/Class Rank Needed for HYS + Columbia from T-20?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 pm

Currently top 15% (maybe closer to top 14%/13% but school doesn't give specific ranks) at a T-20 school with a 3.67 GPA. Wondering how much I need to improve this semester to have a chance at any of these schools.

Also, would you all suggest transferring? I'm guessing yes because I have no financial aid currently and am not tied down to my city at all and I want to go into biglaw, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

MagicMike80

Re: What GPA/Class Rank Needed for HYS + Columbia from T-20?

Postby MagicMike80 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Need a lot more info. Without improvement CLS is a coin-flip. Others likely foreclosed unless you're #1 this semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 pm

What additional info do you need? I have two prior legal internships, went straight from undergrad to law school, have a public interest job lined up for the summer, I have two positions in student orgs and I made one skills board so far.
My undergrad GPA was 3.67 and LSAT was 164. I'm not a URM.

If those schools are out, what about NYU and Penn?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently top 15% (maybe closer to top 14%/13% but school doesn't give specific ranks) at a T-20 school with a 3.67 GPA. Wondering how much I need to improve this semester to have a chance at any of these schools.

Also, would you all suggest transferring? I'm guessing yes because I have no financial aid currently and am not tied down to my city at all and I want to go into biglaw, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

UT/UCLA/Vandy

or

WUSTL/Emory/USC/UMN

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:17 pm

jk148706 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Currently top 15% (maybe closer to top 14%/13% but school doesn't give specific ranks) at a T-20 school with a 3.67 GPA. Wondering how much I need to improve this semester to have a chance at any of these schools.

Thanks!

UT/UCLA/Vandy

or

WUSTL/Emory/USC/UMN

WUSTL/Emory/USC/UMN are all in the same range I'm already attending.

bowser

Postby bowser » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:17 pm

Transfers kill it at CLS EIP. Prob 95% success rate, if you want a job in NY. I imagine that beats the odds where you're coming in from for top 10%.

I don't have much data for ppl transferring from T20 schools, though. A lot of transfers from significantly lower-ranked schools were near very top of their class.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Need top 5% to guaranteed HLS
Need top 10% to guaranteed CLS

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Need top 5% to guaranteed HLS

This. A little more leeway for NYU/Penn, but IMO not much. Although people will disagree with me, I think the outcome depends on your T20. Keep this anecdote in mind: top 10% at Cornell/GULC did not get HLS, but top 20% got CLS/NYU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:

This. A little more leeway for NYU/Penn, but IMO not much. Although people will disagree with me, I think the outcome depends on your T20. Keep this anecdote in mind: top 10% at Cornell/GULC did not get HLS, but top 20% got CLS/NYU.

OP here, thanks for the advice.

General question to anyone:
So if these schools are out of the question unless my grades improve, assuming I perform the same and stay within top 15%, what about the rest of the T-14? Specifically Berkeley, UVA, or Georgetown?

Also - if I were to make it into Berkeey, UVA, or Georgetown, would it be worth it to transfer?

T-20 + journal (law review possible) + other skills board + no money > or < T-14 + no journal + no money?

sandwhich

Postby sandwhich » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

OP here, thanks for the advice.

General question to anyone:
So if these schools are out of the question unless my grades improve, assuming I perform the same and stay within top 15%, what about the rest of the T-14? Specifically Berkeley, UVA, or Georgetown?

Also - if I were to make it into Berkeey, UVA, or Georgetown, would it be worth it to transfer?

T-20 + journal (law review possible) + other skills board + no money > or < T-14 + no journal + no money?

Technically you could write on to a journal at your transfer school. And I THINK Georetown offers need based aid to transfers, but I could be mistaken.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:25 pm

I was accepted EA into GULC and they offered me 25k/yr (50k total) in need aid.

I compiled sparse TLS data, available here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=232983 and I think top 15% at T20 would make you competitive at GULC, NU, Michigan, and possibly Duke/Berkeley. However, my confidence is not high in the latter two. With regard to UVA, they don't take many transfers so I'm just going to say your chances are slim, because they likely take top 5 to 10% from lower ranked Virginia schools (UVA is known to prefer VA residents).

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:33 pm

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 am

CounselorNebby wrote:I was accepted EA into GULC and they offered me 25k/yr (50k total) in need aid.

I compiled sparse TLS data, available here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=232983 and I think top 15% at T20 would make you competitive at GULC, NU, Michigan, and possibly Duke/Berkeley. However, my confidence is not high in the latter two. With regard to UVA, they don't take many transfers so I'm just going to say your chances are slim, because they likely take top 5 to 10% from lower ranked Virginia schools (UVA is known to prefer VA residents).

Wait, GULC offers need based aid? Is that only EA? What other T14s give out need based aid?

I thought only HYS gave any sort of grants to transfers.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 pm

AT9 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:I was accepted EA into GULC and they offered me 25k/yr (50k total) in need aid.

Wait, GULC offers need based aid? Is that only EA? What other T14s give out need based aid?

I thought only HYS gave any sort of grants to transfers.

The grant was called the Dean's Tuition Grant. They do not advertise that they offer it, but if you look at the Dean's Tuition Grant's webpage, you'll find this reference to transfer students:

"Awards are generally renewable at the same level for up to two additional years of full-time study at Georgetown Law (one additional year for transfer students)."

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... stance.cfm

Furthermore, on their FAQ, they don't do the greatest job of outright saying that they offer need based aid. Here's what their relevant FAQ says:

Does Georgetown Law offer scholarships to transfer students?

No, we do not offer merit-based scholarships to incoming transfer students through the Office of Admissions. The Office of Financial Aid keeps a list of outside scholarships for which you may be eligible. We encourage you to look at their list to see if there are any outside scholarships to which you can apply (https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissio ... update.pdf). Also, please keep in mind that scholarships are just one part of what should be an overall approach to financing your Georgetown education. We strongly encourage you to apply for need-based assistance through the Financial Aid Office (https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissio ... ncial-aid/) and to research other options for funding.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... rocess.cfm

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Huh. Any idea how common it is for them to offer need-based aid?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:50 pm

AT9 wrote:Huh. Any idea how common it is for them to offer need-based aid?

No idea.

Return to “Transfers”