Is it crazy to transfer down? SLS -> Boalt.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is transferring down insane?

YES -- definitely stay at SLS
72%
No -- a transfer to Boalt is worth considering
28%

Total votes: 67

Nebby

Re: Is it crazy to transfer down? SLS -> Boalt.

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:57 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:The decision is not rational, and as long as you admit it then you're free to transfer. With regard to employment, though, SLS certainly opens many doors. Do you have an idea what you want to practice; what are you doing 1L summer? What is SLS's LRAP? I assume it's pretty good.

And how is it compared to Boalt's? The PSLF program is great and all, but there's been chatter for a while about limiting the amount forgiven, cutting the program, etc.

You're free to plan your future on the speculation of congressional action. If it makes you feel better about your employment decisions, then more power to you. Not super relevant to OP though.

I don't know, it's not totally crazy to compare the two LRAPs if OP wants to do PI 4 lyfe.

That's understandable, but OP already said that they got good money from SLS, and they would lose it in a transfer. Seems SLS + LRAP would be better because the debt would be paid off faster.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Transferring from a school that places 44.85% of its students into NJL 250 firms from a school that places 47.09% of its students into NJL 250 firms isn't going to make you feel better.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:54 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:That's understandable, but OP already said that they got good money from SLS, and they would lose it in a transfer. Seems SLS + LRAP would be better because the debt would be paid off faster.

Probably going to be paid off in 10 years no matter what right? Just a matter of what counts as PI and how much OP has to contribute. IDK though, I've never really looked into LRAP programs. Of course, the trap we're both falling into is analyzing the finances of the move, which is probably way too corporatist for the OP.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:55 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:That's understandable, but OP already said that they got good money from SLS, and they would lose it in a transfer. Seems SLS + LRAP would be better because the debt would be paid off faster.

Probably going to be paid off in 10 years no matter what right? Just a matter of what counts as PI and how much OP has to contribute. IDK though, I've never really looked into LRAP programs. Of course, the trap we're both falling into is analyzing the finances of the move, which is probably way too corporatist for the OP.

DOWN WITH THE DOLLAR, UP WITH THE BARTER SYSTEM.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:19 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:The decision is not rational, and as long as you admit it then you're free to transfer. With regard to employment, though, SLS certainly opens many doors. Do you have an idea what you want to practice; what are you doing 1L summer? What is SLS's LRAP? I assume it's pretty good.

And how is it compared to Boalt's? The PSLF program is great and all, but there's been chatter for a while about limiting the amount forgiven, cutting the program, etc.

You're free to plan your future on the speculation of congressional action. If it makes you feel better about your employment decisions, then more power to you. Not super relevant to OP though.

Stanford's LRAP (unlike Boalt's) isn't connected to PAYE/PSLF (which is a big plus IMO).

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:47 am

TL;DR

My .02: Go make non-law school friends around the area. Go to your local bar and/or college and meet normal people. Have separation in your life and everything will be much easier to deal with.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Join a public interest group on campus. Or hell...why not start one on campus. I know public defenders from Harvard and Yale, so you are not a special snowflake. Plus, if you want to do public interest, why not learn from the best? Firms hire from Stanford because they know the education is top tier. You don't need career services to get into pi from Stanford. When an applicant is cold calling from Stanford you won't get voicemail.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:22 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Join a public interest group on campus. Or hell...why not start one on campus. I know public defenders from Harvard and Yale, so you are not a special snowflake. Plus, if you want to do public interest, why not learn from the best? Firms hire from Stanford because they know the education is top tier. You don't need career services to get into pi from Stanford. When an applicant is cold calling from Stanford you won't get voicemail.

I don't think the OP should transfer but this is fucking stupid.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Join a public interest group on campus. Or hell...why not start one on campus. I know public defenders from Harvard and Yale, so you are not a special snowflake. Plus, if you want to do public interest, why not learn from the best? Firms hire from Stanford because they know the education is top tier. You don't need career services to get into pi from Stanford. When an applicant is cold calling from Stanford you won't get voicemail.

Brave post.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:37 pm

I didnt read the other comments so apologize if this has been suggested before.

OP, if you hate your SLS classmate/environment, don't transfer but consider doing a visiting students your third year at Boalt. That way, you graduate with an SLS degree and have Boalt on your resume as well (if you format Boalt on your resume before SLS, that's what employer would see first). That's one more year of misery but a better scenario for you overall long-term.

P.S. I still think this is flame.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 1L at SLS, and I'm seriously considering applying to transfer to Berkeley. Though I love law school and I have an ideal public interest summer internship lined up in the Bay Area, I really hate SLS's conservative corporate culture. I just do not connect to my classmates at all and I don't feel that I have a lot of support here. I am worried about the fact that these people are my law school network, now and beyond. I had one Bay Area PI summer employer tell me straight-up they don't really hire from SLS -- they prefer to keep a "Berkeley feel." I don't blame them!

I was initially won over to choose SLS because of its ranking and clerkship rates (+ great fin aid), but I wonder if I made the wrong choice. Would it be insane to transfer, or should I suck it up? I'm not miserable and I could get through 2 more years, but I'm not sure it's worth it, or that it's even an advantage to be here for Bay Area PI.

If it's not insane to transfer: a) would I need to be top of my class? (I'm not, but I'm above median) and b) do transfers ever get scholarships?

As an SLS 1L who originally wanted to do firm work, but decided to do public interest instead, I have to say I'm completely mystified by this. I have nothing to compare it to, obviously, but I don't think there's a lack of PI support. I certainly have never felt looked down upon by anyone. I'm curious as to what people have said to you to make you feel this way.

I mean, we have an entire center dedicated to PI, so I'm not sure what else you could be looking for in terms of "express" support. Maybe you think the Levin Center is worthless; that's fine, but you should really consider whether the support at other schools is actually better. What kind of support are you looking for that Stanford isn't giving you right now? Or is it just that you don't feel a connection to the other 1Ls?

EDIT: Also, the whole "Berkeley feel" thing sounds kind of smug and narrow-minded.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 pm

Stanford and with aid? I'm not even going to read the rest of your post.

Yes, you're f@#$ing batshit crazy.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:

You are probably the type of law student that she is trying to escape from. Turning everything negative to match the rest of your depressed existence.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:37 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

You are probably the type of law student that she is trying to escape from. Turning everything negative to match the rest of your depressed existence.

This is true. Your post was still platitudinous drivel, though. You should own up to that.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 pm

"Transfer down"? Are you trolling? This seems a bit trolly.

ReasonableNprudent

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:55 pm

I'd say go where makes you happy but the prospect of losing your scholarship changes that a bit. I don't see that OP has listed how much the change in cost will be. Both are great schools, both will give you great options. If you are sure you will be happier with the culture at Berkeley then staying at #2 Stanford because it's #2 is a trivial decision. I don't believe there is really a detriment to the shift.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 am

L’Étranger wrote:"Transfer down"? Are you trolling? This seems a bit trolly.

It's not even the usual transferring-down-for-geography rationale.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 am

ReasonableNprudent wrote:I'd say go where makes you happy but the prospect of losing your scholarship changes that a bit. I don't see that OP has listed how much the change in cost will be. Both are great schools, both will give you great options. If you are sure you will be happier with the culture at Berkeley then staying at #2 Stanford because it's #2 is a trivial decision. I don't believe there is really a detriment to the shift.

1) it will be a lot more expensive to switch
2) there is a difference in placement power between the two
3) OP's problems seem to come a lot more from OP than the school

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am

If you're looking for a change in law school culture, and you're willing to give up being at SLS, then go to Boalt. I can't speak for SLS, but Boalt does have a unique student body, the types you'd be happy to stay in touch with down the road.

Return to “Transfers”