Transferring from T10 to BC/BU

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring from T10 to BC/BU

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a 1L at a T10 (a bit above median) and recently got engaged to someone in Boston. Assuming I can't transfer to Harvard, how would firms react to a move like this (T10 to BC/BU) come OCI? Obviously my decision to transfer down would come up in every interview, but when comparing me against other candidates, would Boston firms account for the fact that my 1L performance was in a more rigid environment? Fwiw I'm from the Boston area and definitely want to return for biglaw.

(I realize nobody will have concrete answers for these questions, but I've never been one to turn down speculation.)

BigZuck

Re: Transferring from T10 to BC/BU

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:58 pm

What about doing 2L year at your T14 and then being a visiting student at a Boston area school your 3L year?

Just a thought

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:01 pm

congrats

But yeah stay put for a year then be a visiting student at the cheapest school in boston for 3L. Wouldn't transfer short of Harvard.

I don't know how visiting "admissions" work but I'm sure I'd imagine it's easier to go to H under such circumstances, too. If gunning for boston long-term, that might be worth the money? (no idea, just throwing it out there)

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Don't transfer. Congratulations on your engagement, and don't be a jobless married person.

Itwasluck

Postby Itwasluck » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:04 pm

OP, feel free to PM me. I went through a very similar decision last year in the transfer process. Congrats on your engagement!

Edit: I agree with those saying not to transfer btw. I think a few years apart is worth a better chance at being together down the road.
Last edited by Itwasluck on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:04 pm

yea don't transfer. Try going abroad with your fiancé.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 am

Staying put for 2L and then being a visiting student is TCR. From my understanding, visiting studentships are designed for exactly this type of situations- i.e. you can't just be a visiting student for shits and giggles, you have to have a legitimate reason. Given your current school and above-median grades, I would imagine H would at least be in the realm of possibilities.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm a 1L at a T10 (a bit above median) and recently got engaged to someone in Boston. Assuming I can't transfer to Harvard, how would firms react to a move like this (T10 to BC/BU) come OCI? Obviously my decision to transfer down would come up in every interview, but when comparing me against other candidates, would Boston firms account for the fact that my 1L performance was in a more rigid environment? Fwiw I'm from the Boston area and definitely want to return for biglaw.

(I realize nobody will have concrete answers for these questions, but I've never been one to turn down speculation.)

Do a visiting student program for your last year. It would HURT you during OCI.

Return to “Transfers”