Transferring out of NYC and coming back

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transfer fun

Stay put
No votes
Chicago ED
No votes
Pray for good June grades and xfer elsewhere
100%

Total votes: 3

Have you met Lydia?

Transferring out of NYC and coming back

Postby Have you met Lydia? » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi TLS,

Last time I posted on here I was asking on where to attend. I ended up matriculating to Fordham with a decent scholarship.

3.7x first semester. Calculator and webpage based on last year estimates at top 5%. But I'm not confident about repeating that. Let's just assume I don't for this post.

I know everyone bids nyc. I'm a bit worried about explaining the move esp if interviewing with Fordham alums.

I don't mind staying in NYC but if I have a shot at other areas id like to try them. Order of preference:

1) Seattle (moderate ties)
2) Chicago (no ties)
3) San francisco (strong ties)
4) NYC

After reading 5 years of TLS posts, I know those first three range from unlikely to semi impossible so I'd still be bidding NYC. I'd like to clerk and as much as its a flame, academia. Bottom line is I'd hate to spend an extra 100k on a transferand end up at the same NYC firms I coulda had out of top 10-20% at Fordham. I do know that I will be judged at Chicago oci on Fordham 1l grades.

1) How likely is Seattle/Chicago/SF out of Chls with top 10-20% Fordham grades if I put half my bids into NYC?
2) How much will this move hurt me when it comes time for the inevitable NYC interviews?

Added a poll but in very interested in reading comments and anecdotes, especially from Chls people and transfers.

Thanks!

Nebby

Re: Transferring out of NYC and coming back

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:35 pm

UChi makes no sense. You should stay put or transfer to CNHYS.

Have you met Lydia?

Re: Transferring out of NYC and coming back

Postby Have you met Lydia? » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:44 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:UChi makes no sense. You should stay put or transfer to CNHYS.

I know that's best. (And its option 3 on the poll).

But as I said I am worried about dropping. Not transferring to cnhys at 15-20%.

Return to “Transfers”