Applications not yet open/Rec letter questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applications not yet open/Rec letter questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:15 pm

These may be dumb questions but I would appreciate some insight.

The applications for the schools I want to apply to open April 1st or later. Other thank asking for recs, what else can I do?

Also, regarding recommendations:

The professor I asked would like me to him what I would like him to say. What in the world do I suggest? "X is an amazing, wonderful student and person"?

On another note, this prof also suggested I apply to a particular school because he "has connections there." I did not intend to apply there (for a variety of reasons) but am certainly considering it now. Has anything similar happened to any of you?

jphiggo

Re: Applications not yet open/Rec letter questions

Postby jphiggo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:18 pm

You can start working on polishing up a personal statement. Be sure to proofread it.

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 pm

I would just tell him to talk about your success as a law student and the interaction he has had with you. I had college professors ask me this, and it seemed like the question was basically asking "is there anything in particular you want me to highlight in my letter?" If you were only applying to schools in a particular area of the country, or if you had something special on your resume that you wanted him to highlight, then that is where those come in. Otherwise, I think a pretty standard letter of recommendation is fine.

If you're adamantly opposed to attending the school, then don't apply. If it seems like a reasonable choice for you given your goals, then go ahead. The only thing you're losing is the short time it takes to apply and the application fee. I've never had this happen with a professor, but I have heard about similar situations from other law students. I would definitely at the very least investigate it further, and I would probably apply unless I absolutely would not attend.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Before April 1st you can finish your personal statement and have your UG and LS send in the dean's certificates. It's really, really helpful to have these two things done ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Thank you all for the sound advice. It is much appreciated.

Meow Meowsworth wrote:I would just tell him to talk about your success as a law student and the interaction he has had with you. I had college professors ask me this, and it seemed like the question was basically asking "is there anything in particular you want me to highlight in my letter?" If you were only applying to schools in a particular area of the country, or if you had something special on your resume that you wanted him to highlight, then that is where those come in. Otherwise, I think a pretty standard letter of recommendation is fine.

If you're adamantly opposed to attending the school, then don't apply. If it seems like a reasonable choice for you given your goals, then go ahead. The only thing you're losing is the short time it takes to apply and the application fee. I've never had this happen with a professor, but I have heard about similar situations from other law students. I would definitely at the very least investigate it further, and I would probably apply unless I absolutely would not attend.

I will definitely apply. The main reason I had not considered was because of my grades but my professor insisted.

CounselorNebby wrote:Before April 1st you can finish your personal statement and have your UG and LS send in the dean's certificates. It's really, really helpful to have these two things done ASAP.

I will definitely look into this asap, but first I have another dumb question: How do I go about this? is it through LSAC's CAS?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:14 am

Last edited by zombie mcavoy on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:50 am

The UG certs go directly to the law school--not to LSAC. REMEMBER, not all LS need them. I know GULC doesn't, CLS and HLS do.

Each school has the certifications online. For instance, below is the dean's certification that you'll need your UG degree granting institution to send in and your 1L LS to send in.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... raisal.pdf

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:33 am

CounselorNebby wrote:The UG certs go directly to the law school--not to LSAC. REMEMBER, not all LS need them. I know GULC doesn't, CLS and HLS do.

Each school has the certifications online. For instance, below is the dean's certification that you'll need your UG degree granting institution to send in and your 1L LS to send in.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... raisal.pdf

OP here. It seems the schools that I will apply to don't require certs but just want a LS transcript, undergrad transcript w/degree conferral, and a letter of good standing from LS dean.

GW, in particular, wants a letter of good standing and transcript sent directly from myLS to the admissions office, while another school wants everything through LSAC. Gosh this seems confusing.

Return to “Transfers”