Question about Communicating "Booked" Courses

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about Communicating "Booked" Courses

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:33 pm

I booked a few classes, but my LS doesn't designate this on the transcript (we do not have an A+, nor does the transcript put an asterisk or anything next to the grade as far as I know). My school does, however, give out an award for getting the highest grade in the class, which I have indicated on my resume.

The question is, should I just rely on adcoms seeing my resume, or should I attach some sort of letter indicating what classes I received the highest grade in?

BVest

Re: Question about Communicating "Booked" Courses

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I booked a few classes, but my LS doesn't designate this on the transcript (we do not have an A+, nor does the transcript put an asterisk or anything next to the grade as far as I know). My school does, however, give out an award for getting the highest grade in the class, which I have indicated on my resume.

The question is, should I just rely on adcoms seeing my resume, or should I attach some sort of letter indicating what classes I received the highest grade in?

They will see your resume.

If it fits (but only if it fits) you can include an oblique reference in your PS (generally about your excellence thus far in LS), or even a less oblique reference if you're obligated to write an academic addendum for performance reasons (e.g. if you were on academic probation for poor UG performance).

But they will see your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:18 pm

BVest wrote:They will see your resume.

If it fits (but only if it fits) you can include an oblique reference in your PS (generally about your excellence thus far in LS), or even a less oblique reference if you're obligated to write an academic addendum for performance reasons (e.g. if you were on academic probation for poor UG performance).

But they will see your resume.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, turns out I did have to write an academic addendum for that very reason. I do think I had a legitimate excuse, which is what the bulk of what my addendum refers to. Though I did at the very end mention my LS performance in general (along with my preceding explanation) as a more accurate indicator of my academic ability.

Since the academic probation my grades have been rather good, so I don't want to over sell individual grades in hopes that the overall trend in my academic performance speaks for itself.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Why did you write an addendum for a transfer application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Why did you write an addendum for a transfer application?

Because the transfer application is essentially identical to the normal application on LSAC, so it has character and fitness questions. I'm not going to say "yes" to a char. & fit. question without attaching an addendum explaining it.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm

I thought you meant an academic addendum, which is what you said in your previous post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:02 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:I thought you meant an academic addendum, which is what you said in your previous post.

Well, yeah, it's an academic [probation] addendum. Didn't think about it when I typed it before.

Return to “Transfers”