Transferring from an Accelerated-JD

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring from an Accelerated-JD

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from an accelerated-JD into a regular JD at another school? Or, Is it possible to transfer from an accelerated-JD into an accelerated-JD at another school (specifically, Northwestern University)?

I am currently at a T3 accelerated-JD program. I would like to go to a better school if I can. I am currently ranked 1 in my class. Has anyone heard of anyone successfully transferring out of a 2-year JD? (I have no scholarships, and the cost is just as staggering as a 3yr JD so I'd rather spend the money at a school which will most likely land me a job.)

Please no insults, I know I screwed up going to a lower ranked school.

BVest

Re: Transferring from an Accelerated-JD

Postby BVest » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:35 pm

I haven't heard of it specifically, but as long as you have the typical 1L curriculum out of the way it shouldn't be a problem. The obstacles as I see them:

If you've done more than the allowed transfer credits at your target school, you'll have to give some up. The allowed transfer semester hours is usually around 30-32 or their quarter equivalent.

I've seen at least 1 T14 (and I don't recall which) that won't allow you to transfer if you've already completed X number of credit hours (where I think X was in the high 30s or low 40s).

transferror

Postby transferror » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Northwestern's program is new so I doubt there's much info/data out there, but I doubt they are looking for transfers b/c the class size is so small. The entering class of 2013 for NU accel JD was less than 30. Also, most schools won't allow you to transfer once you've surpassed a certain number of credits (I think it's b/c of the ABA but I'm not sure), and after one year of the accelerated JD you'll almost certainly have too many credits to transfer into a 3-year program.

The best way to find out will be to just call around to admissions offices and ask.

GavinMirza

Postby GavinMirza » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 am

Thanks for the information! I didn't even consider the credit issue!

Thanks again!!

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:28 pm

You should just contact schools to see what their policy is.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:59 am

OP: Not aware of any transfers to/from the NU accelerated program. There's really no distinction - after the initial 1L summer - between the accelerated cohort and the three-year students, so the 2L transfer process would default to the normal 3-year transfer process.

Think other posters are correct that an ABA credit hour minimum (at your eventual graduating school) limits the 3L transfer market. NU 3L OCI is limited (much, much more limited than 2L OCI), so even if 3L transfer was an option, would caution you about making the move because the opportunities for face-to-face firm interaction after 2L summer are few.

With that said, feel free to PM me if I can help at all (current 2L in the NU accelerated program).

Return to “Transfers”