Vanderbilt Interview

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Vanderbilt Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:11 pm

What should I expect? Is it the traditional interview (e.g. tell me your strengths, weaknesses, why do you want to transfer to vanderbilt...)

BuffaloBillsFan

Re: Vanderbilt Interview

Postby BuffaloBillsFan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:18 pm

There were many on here who made light of the interview, saying that it was very laid back and that they mostly just spoke about the school, and the alumna or alumnus just answered questions. That was partially true for me. However, it did not start off that way. I was asked the "why law school" question, along with a few hypothetical-s. It eventually loosened up, but I would be ready to answer the basic interview questions. It definitely was not super-formal, but not as laid back as some of the posts o here claim. Of course, it all depends on your interviewer.

Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:50 pm

BuffaloBillsFan wrote:There were many on here who made light of the interview, saying that it was very laid back and that they mostly just spoke about the school, and the alumna or alumnus just answered questions. That was partially true for me. However, it did not start off that way. I was asked the "why law school" question, along with a few hypothetical-s. It eventually loosened up, but I would be ready to answer the basic interview questions. It definitely was not super-formal, but not as laid back as some of the posts o here claim. Of course, it all depends on your interviewer.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the info. Just one question, regarding the hypotheticals you were talking about. Are these law related hypo's or something else?

BuffaloBillsFan

Postby BuffaloBillsFan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:15 pm

They were definitely all law school-related. For instance, I was asked "if I was an admissions counselor, what would I value most in an application?" That was really the only true hypothetical. The rest, I believe, was aimed at figuring out how well I thought out my decision to go to law school. To that point, I was asked "why Vandy," and I was also asked what my "plan" was for finding a job if I had not secured one by graduation. That whole portion of the interview was about ten minutes and then it turned into a less formal discussion. After, I was thanked for being able to articulate myself and was told that I would not believe how many people could not muster up a substantial answer to the "why law school" question.

I hope this helps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:19 pm

BuffaloBillsFan wrote:They were definitely all law school-related. For instance, I was asked "if I was an admissions counselor, what would I value most in an application?" That was really the only true hypothetical. The rest, I believe, was aimed at figuring out how well I thought out my decision to go to law school. To that point, I was asked "why Vandy," and I was also asked what my "plan" was for finding a job if I had not secured one by graduation. That whole portion of the interview was about ten minutes and then it turned into a less formal discussion. After, I was thanked for being able to articulate myself and was told that I would not believe how many people could not muster up a substantial answer to the "why law school" question.

I hope this helps!

Extremely helpful. Thank you!

timesnewboston

Postby timesnewboston » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm

BuffaloBillsFan wrote:They were definitely all law school-related. For instance, I was asked "if I was an admissions counselor, what would I value most in an application?" That was really the only true hypothetical. The rest, I believe, was aimed at figuring out how well I thought out my decision to go to law school. To that point, I was asked "why Vandy," and I was also asked what my "plan" was for finding a job if I had not secured one by graduation. That whole portion of the interview was about ten minutes and then it turned into a less formal discussion. After, I was thanked for being able to articulate myself and was told that I would not believe how many people could not muster up a substantial answer to the "why law school" question.

I hope this helps!

Roughly what was your response or what is a good response?

Return to “Transfers”