Could someone explain to me what do the percentiles mean?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wouldliketotransfer2

Could someone explain to me what do the percentiles mean?

Postby Wouldliketotransfer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 pm

For instance if a school has 3.5 for its 75th percentile what does this mean? Does it mean that the highest GPA is 3.5?

Thanks!

fireflies

Re: Could someone explain to me what do the percentiles mean?

Postby fireflies » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Wouldliketotransfer2 wrote:For instance if a school has 3.5 for its 75th percentile what does this mean? Does it mean that the highest GPA is 3.5?

Thanks!

it means that hypothetically if a school had 100 students in the JD class and you made a list of lowest-highest GPA of those 100 students
then the 75th GPA listed would be 3.5

but replace 100 with however many students matriculate in the class and 75th is just whatever the 75th percentage of that total would be

rnoodles

Re: Could someone explain to me what do the percentiles mean?

Postby rnoodles » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:22 pm

It means you have a GPA equal to or better than 75% of your classmates. Short explanation: You're somewhere in the top quarter of your class.

Return to “Transfers”