transfer chance from WCL to Georgetown

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfertogt

transfer chance from WCL to Georgetown

Postby transfertogt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Guys any advice is appreciated. I am doing an early decision transfer application to Georgetown. I have 3.8 at WCL. I love the professors and my classmates at WCL. However, IDK if the tuition cost is worth it :?: I would be paying half the cost of tuition at WCL. My goal is to get a large firm job (fingers crossed).

irish921

Re: transfer chance from WCL to Georgetown

Postby irish921 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm assuming you are referring to American when saying WCL. I don't know what American's policy on negotiation is, but definitely get on that. Im admittedly unaware how a 3.8 pans out at American, but I'm assuming that's a solid chance at biglaw. If I was in your position, I would be aiming much higher than GTown to transfer up to make it more worth my while, unless geography is a lock for you.

transfertogt

Postby transfertogt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:06 pm

irish921 wrote:I'm assuming you are referring to American when saying WCL. I don't know what American's policy on negotiation is, but definitely get on that. Im admittedly unaware how a 3.8 pans out at American, but I'm assuming that's a solid chance at biglaw. If I was in your position, I would be aiming much higher than GTown to transfer up to make it more worth my while, unless geography is a lock for you.

Hey I did negotiate with the school. And i think I am maxed out with help for half of the tuition. I looked into Gtown primarily because of location, I am able to stay in the area with no rent. What schools higher ranked do you think I would have a good chance at?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 pm

irish921 wrote:Im admittedly unaware how a 3.8 pans out at American, but I'm assuming that's a solid chance at biglaw. If I was in your position, I would be aiming much higher than GTown to transfer up to make it more worth my while, unless geography is a lock for you.

OP, only 10% of their insanely large class size ended up in a 250+ lawyer firm or with a federal clerkship for the year 2013. I don't think there's any reason to stay at American, especially if you're not there on a full ride.

I'm ignorant to how the rest of the T13 view American transfers, but I would assume you have as good a shot as anyone else in your class. I would check 509 data for each school in the top 14 and see how many American transfers they've taken this past year (I assume a healthy amount of kids try and transfer out--most end up at GWU, though).

irish921

Postby irish921 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Hey I did negotiate with the school. And i think I am maxed out with help for half of the tuition. I looked into Gtown primarily because of location, I am able to stay in the area with no rent. What schools higher ranked do you think I would have a good chance at?[/quote]

Are you saying you negotiated with the school during admissions or that you renegotiated based upon your transfer? Im thinking you are referring to the former.

Once you get your acceptance, talk to the administration and try to get them to up your scholarship by essentially threatening to leave. If they increase, I would stay.

In terms of other schools, I'm just going to treat American as a T2. If a 3.8 is top 5% or better (which I assume it is), you should have a solid shot at any school below Penn. Keep in mind a lot of that portion of the T14 are transfer unfriendly. If its closer to top 1%, include NYU and Columbia. If its closer to top 10%, GULC will likely be the best option.

In regards to runinthefront's post, like I said, if a 3.8 is safely within top 5% of American and you can negotiate more money on top of your half ride, I would stay. But his point is very valid, and you should definitely consider how much money more biglaw certainty is worth to you.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Very good chances at GULC.
Transfer. Get as far away from WCL as you can.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Very good chances at GULC.
Transfer. Get as far away from WCL as you can.

+1. It's a sinking ship if I've ever seen one...

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:51 pm

This is a fairly nebulous data point, especially since many other things are factored into transfer admittance rates outside of school rank (as well as the fact that not everyone in the top 10% will be transferring out), but FYI, The T-14 took a total of twenty-five transfers from American this past year.

13 to GULC, 2 to Berkeley, 2 to Penn, 1 to NYU, 3 to Columbia, 2 to Chicago, and 2 to Harvard.

I don't know how much this helps, but I guess if you compare the 2013 class size (473, with 100 people eventually transferring out according to 2013 and 2014 509 reports), 5.2% of that class ended up in the T-14.

I guess you could also look at it as 25% of the people who transferred out matriculated into a T-14 school (I would assume that the percentage may be higher since some students may have been admitted to GULC or something and chose to go elsewhere).

*not including data from Cornell/UVA, since they took in < 5 transfers.

transfertogt

Postby transfertogt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 pm

runinthefront wrote:
irish921 wrote:Im admittedly unaware how a 3.8 pans out at American, but I'm assuming that's a solid chance at biglaw. If I was in your position, I would be aiming much higher than GTown to transfer up to make it more worth my while, unless geography is a lock for you.

OP, only 10% of their insanely large class size ended up in a 250+ lawyer firm or with a federal clerkship for the year 2013. I don't think there's any reason to stay at American, especially if you're not there on a full ride.

I'm ignorant to how the rest of the T13 view American transfers, but I would assume you have as good a shot as anyone else in your class. I would check 509 data for each school in the top 14 and see how many American transfers they've taken this past year (I assume a healthy amount of kids try and transfer out--most end up at GWU, though).

InTheHouse

Postby InTheHouse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Run!!!!

transfertogt

Postby transfertogt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how large firms interviewing at GULC for 2L SP would compare a WCL transfer's GPA with that of a an applicant who was at GULC the first year.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:54 pm

transfertogt wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how large firms interviewing at GULC for 2L SP would compare a WCL transfer's GPA with that of a an applicant who was at GULC the first year.

Idk what SP means, but a large firm who interviews at GULC for their 'on campus interviews' would treat a GPA from American as a GPA from American--not like other GULC students.

I think the TLS consensus is that transferring (although there may undoubtedly be benefits of a having a better "name" on your degree down the road) really just exposes you to more employers during OCI. You're still going to be judged based on your old school's GPA. Even if you are judged more positively (because now you're at a better school), a 3.8 from American will be judged in a far different manner than a 3.8 from GULC.

transfertogt

Postby transfertogt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Would it be better to transfer to GULC or stay at WCL to get a big law job? GPA was a 3.8 for the first semester. What gives me the best chance of getting the 2L summer associate position at a big law?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Transfer.

Return to “Transfers”