GULC EA Waiting Thread 2015 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
inchipwetrust

New

Re: GULC EA Waiting Thread 2015

Post by inchipwetrust » Sun May 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Has anyone gotten any updates w/ regard to pre-registration for classes, grant info, EIW etc.? Any idea when we should be looking for updates?

DCESQ

New

Post by DCESQ » Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm

inchipwetrust wrote:Has anyone gotten any updates w/ regard to pre-registration for classes, grant info, EIW etc.? Any idea when we should be looking for updates?
From what I've gathered (just poking around places online) EIW will be August 10-13 based on last year's timelines. Pre-registration checklist says you have to pick courses before 7/25 but I assume you can't start until after 6/1 (second deposit deadline). I didn't get any grants but I applied. If you check your financial aid in myAccess they will tell you what you're getting (idk if this will change or not).

EDIT: A picture in the pre-registration packet has the open date as 6/30. Could be real or could be just a picture.

jess

Post by jess » Thu May 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YungLuck

New

Post by YungLuck » Thu May 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Last edited by YungLuck on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jt91isles

New

Post by jt91isles » Fri May 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Jessuf wrote:
YungLuck wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
thp25 wrote:Hey guys,
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I was accepted in the Early Action Program this past Friday. How is everyone feeling about the potential debt? I spoke to some of the Transfer Student Peer Mentors; they were very nice and incredibly helpful, and they noted that most, if not all of the transfers that they knew got jobs through OCI. However, since they're technically representatives of the school, I wonder if I should take that with a grain of salt. Does anyone know generally how transfers do at GULC OCI? Or if there is any "threshold" GPA for transfers getting Biglaw offers? Also, I heard from the Transfer Student Peer Mentors that most transfers who do write on make it on to a journal.
i know this post is super old, but these mentor people are clearly propagandists. most transfers do not get jobs through OCI, and no way in hell are all transfers employed come graduation. no way to come up with a threshold gpa because you are a transfer student from one of 130+ law schools that all grade and rank differently. however, if big law wouldn't want you at your old school, it most likely wouldn't want you at gulc. make sure you mass mail and focus on non-vault firms as well.

however, if you do write on and are flexible on what journal you get on, you are pretty much guaranteed to get something. you just have to be smart about the ranking system.

I know 4 people from TTT schools who transferred within the past 3 years... all of whom received offers via OCI from V100 firms.
okay, i stand corrected. if these 4 people from horrible schools got jobs through OCI, all 300 transfers from the past 3 years must have also gotten jobs. don't bother to mass mail, guys.
As a transfer last year from a TTT; absolutely mass mail. I received close to 8 additional interviews that way.

ericrivas11

New

Post by ericrivas11 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Anyone trying to stay on campus at Gewirz?

Deedee5

New

Post by Deedee5 » Sat May 16, 2015 4:07 pm

Jessuf wrote:
thp25 wrote:Hey guys,
Congrats to everyone who got accepted. I was accepted in the Early Action Program this past Friday. How is everyone feeling about the potential debt? I spoke to some of the Transfer Student Peer Mentors; they were very nice and incredibly helpful, and they noted that most, if not all of the transfers that they knew got jobs through OCI. However, since they're technically representatives of the school, I wonder if I should take that with a grain of salt. Does anyone know generally how transfers do at GULC OCI? Or if there is any "threshold" GPA for transfers getting Biglaw offers? Also, I heard from the Transfer Student Peer Mentors that most transfers who do write on make it on to a journal.
i know this post is super old, but these mentor people are clearly propagandists. most transfers do not get jobs through OCI, and no way in hell are all transfers employed come graduation. no way to come up with a threshold gpa because you are a transfer student from one of 130+ law schools that all grade and rank differently. however, if big law wouldn't want you at your old school, it most likely wouldn't want you at gulc. make sure you mass mail and focus on non-vault firms as well.

however, if you do write on and are flexible on what journal you get on, you are pretty much guaranteed to get something. you just have to be smart about the ranking system.

Does anyone have any advice on how to rank journal preference, to be most successful?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat May 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Deedee5 wrote:
Does anyone have any advice on how to rank journal preference, to be most successful?
Rank them in order from most favorable to least. Or, better yet, only rank the ones you actually want to be on. There's nothing worse than a gooberstrivasaurus who joins a journal that they have zero interest in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thp25

New

Post by thp25 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:44 am

Does anyone know when they will create the transfer Facebook group to look for roommates, get updates, etc.?

Coelum

New

Post by Coelum » Sun May 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Question about the write-on: How intense is it? Will I need to clear an entire week if I want any kind of shot at a good journal? Or is it something that you could accommodate while also working? I'm just trying to gauge a sense of how much time I should expect to put into it hours-wise for a quality comment. Thanks.

estates

New

Post by estates » Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 am

ericrivas11 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Anyone trying to stay on campus at Gewirz?
Yeah, I am.

ericrivas11

New

Post by ericrivas11 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:15 pm

estates wrote:
ericrivas11 wrote:Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Anyone trying to stay on campus at Gewirz?
Yeah, I am.
Do you know if there is a FB group or something like that to help people find roommates? Or is the grouping method used by GULC the usual way people get their roommates?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transferihope

New

Post by transferihope » Fri May 22, 2015 12:18 pm

This is definitely a really stupid question, but where on the myaccess website are y'all seeing the financial aid information?

zosluu

New

Post by zosluu » Mon May 25, 2015 1:28 pm

transferihope wrote:This is definitely a really stupid question, but where on the myaccess website are y'all seeing the financial aid information?
I'm with you also. I don't know how to access it

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Mon May 25, 2015 5:54 pm

zosluu wrote:
transferihope wrote:This is definitely a really stupid question, but where on the myaccess website are y'all seeing the financial aid information?
I would assume it would be under Financial Aid -> Award -> Select Aid Year, after logging in to MyAccess, if you have been awarded any financial aid.

zosluu

New

Post by zosluu » Mon May 25, 2015 6:44 pm

jphiggo wrote:
zosluu wrote:
I would assume it would be under Financial Aid -> Award -> Select Aid Year, after logging in to MyAccess, if you have been awarded any financial aid.
All I see when I login into My access is a tab for personal information and pay deposit

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pd_1023

New

Post by pd_1023 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:45 pm

zosluu wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
zosluu wrote:
All I see when I login into My access is a tab for personal information and pay deposit
Have you gotten the "Financial Aid Award Letter" email yet?

LM1936

New

Post by LM1936 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Coelum wrote:Question about the write-on: How intense is it? Will I need to clear an entire week if I want any kind of shot at a good journal? Or is it something that you could accommodate while also working? I'm just trying to gauge a sense of how much time I should expect to put into it hours-wise for a quality comment. Thanks.
Same question. Currently clerking in-house and would love to be able to get this done before and after work

zosluu

New

Post by zosluu » Wed May 27, 2015 7:32 pm

pd_1023 wrote:
zosluu wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
zosluu wrote:
'
Unfortunately I haven't. Did you fill out something to get it?

pd_1023

New

Post by pd_1023 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:06 pm

zosluu wrote:
pd_1023 wrote:
zosluu wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
zosluu wrote:
'
Yes. I did the Need Access application and the "Yellow Form." There's a link to it on the right side of the home screen to the admitted students website.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zosluu

New

Post by zosluu » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 pm

pd_1023 wrote:
zosluu wrote:
pd_1023 wrote:
zosluu wrote:
jphiggo wrote:
zosluu wrote:
'
Yes. I did the Need Access application and the "Yellow Form." There's a link to it on the right side of the home screen to the admitted students website.
Awesome. Thanks!

inchipwetrust

New

Post by inchipwetrust » Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 pm

got my financial aid award package info on myaccess the other day and don't know how to accept/decline/modify the amounts. The "accept" and "offered" are just regular text w/ no hyperlink or anything & I can't find where to do it on the site. Anyone know what to do? Any help would be great, thanks.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 pm

inchipwetrust wrote:got my financial aid award package info on myaccess the other day and don't know how to accept/decline/modify the amounts. The "accept" and "offered" are just regular text w/ no hyperlink or anything & I can't find where to do it on the site. Anyone know what to do? Any help would be great, thanks.
Read the email again, it will provide you the necessary guidance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”