Tier 1 full ride to NU/UofC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tier 1 full ride to NU/UofC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:49 am

I'm currently on a full-tuition scholarship at a tier 1(25-30). After 1st semester, I am likely around top 10% of the class or so. Since I worked a few years before coming to law school, I will graduate completely debt free. My career goal is BigLaw.

My school, overall, has decent job placement rate, but the focus is on public interest. OCI is lacking on the BigLaw front AND I have no desire to be in any of the pretty small markets that recruit here. Also, I'll be honest, I want the prestige. NU was my dream school since forever but when I got my free ride here I decided to take the money & run; I still vacillate on whether or not that was a good decision. While I love the idea of being debt free & snagging BigLaw from here (which some have done), I'm not loving the odds that it will actually happen for me.

Keeping the obvious debt increase in mind, I'm most strongly considering a transfer to UofC or NU since my parents live in the Chicago suburbs & I could live at home for free & commute. (Unless I could get HYS) Based on my own savings, cost of tuition, etc. I'm thinking that would put me in the neighborhood of $100-115K in loans.

Essentially, I'm wondering if the transfer is worth it. Is the prestige worth going 100K in the hole when I could be graduating debt from a good, but not great, law school?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eriedoctrine

Re: Tier 1 full ride to NU/UofC

Postby eriedoctrine » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:55 am

Wow, why would you transfer in that situation. You'll get biglaw.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:58 am

I don't think it makes sense to transfer
The money difference is great, you have a good chance at biglaw now, and if you transfer it's not even a guarantee you would get biglaw

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:09 pm

eriedoctrine wrote:Wow, why would you transfer in that situation. You'll get biglaw.

Not saying transferring is the right call but it sounds like OP is at Iowa. I doubt top ~10% is necessarily biglaw secure at a school that only places about 15% in biglaw.

InTheHouse

Postby InTheHouse » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Not sure how useful the advice you get is going to be if we don't know the school. Correlation between Biglaw placement and USNWR rankings fall off much earlier in the rankings.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 am

Transfer to Chicago.

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:26 am

I would transfer. I don't think top 10% is biglaw secure by any means so the added boost to biglaw chances plus satisfying your prestige desire is probably worth it. $100k-115k for a NU/UChi degree is a pretty great deal if you ask me.

irish921

Postby irish921 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:19 am

I wouldn't transfer, but I'm risk adverse. If the school is BU or ND, I'd definitely stay. Otherwise, Chicago is certainly not a bad option. You just may save some cash by getting essentially the same outcome at your current school.

Return to “Transfers”