Transfer question - asu

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gosuns10

Transfer question - asu

Postby gosuns10 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:24 pm

I just finished my first semester of law school (ranked in the low 70s) and I did pretty well. I got a 3.53 and sit just outside the top 10 percent. I am originally from arizona and wish to transfer to asu. I did not do very well on my LSAT, 153. But I had a solid undergrad gpa and was a collegiate athlete. What are the chances that I am admitted as a transfer at ASU?

timmyd

Re: Transfer question - asu

Postby timmyd » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't know much about the number of transfers they take but if you maintain those grades I would think you're in good shape. If you can get the gpa up to around 5-10%, you have a shot at better schools such as UT, UCLA, Georgetown. If you absolutely kill it this semester and get inside that top 5%, you may have a shot at other T14 schools.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

If you get top 10%, I would blanket the T14 UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC. In other words, with your gpa I would be shooting for higher than ASU. Many of those schools will have the ability to get you back there upon graduation although not necessarily in big law.

gosuns10

Postby gosuns10 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:47 pm

So my low lsat score isn't going to hurt me?

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:10 pm

gosuns10 wrote:So my low lsat score isn't going to hurt me?

Nobody cares about that anymore. Your 1L school took the hit for that.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:09 pm

I would say your chances are very good if you stay top 15%. Your ties to Arizona will help in the transfer process.

I transferred from a 60-70 law school into ASU. I was in the top 15% after my first year. My school also had another person transfer into ASU and she was only in the top 33%. I was also accepted into U of A. This was back in 2008.

No one cares about LSAT scores in the transfer process.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Good uGPA, collegiate athlete, ended up at TT. Should have retaken. Don't sell yourself short a second time and transfer to ASU. Aim higher.

Cerberaus

Postby Cerberaus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:24 am

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

Please click on/copy the link above and find ASU 2014; note that ASU takes 44 transfers from AZ Summit. I am from AZ, and I can firmly state that AZ Summit has an awful reputation. On the one hand you could see those stats and decide that you will be well above other transfers. On the other hand you could assume that if ASU is taking so many transfers from AZ Summit, there might be a stigma against hiring transfers in Phoenix. In addition, please refer to the following article: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... der-collar

ASU is second only to GULC in the amount of transfers they take.

Being from AZ (UofA), I will admit that ASU dominates the Phoenix market. If you are admitted to ASU initially and place in the top 25% of the class, you would likely have several employment options. I do not think that is the case when you must fight with over 60 other transfers for a job. If I were you, I would not limit myself to ASU; I would apply to other schools where being a transfer is less akin to having won a participation award in the spelling bee.

FYI, I am seeing the above scenario play out in my own experience. I recently transferred to GULC EA. Many firms will not even look at transfer students; being a transfer at GULC isn't that impressive. Hopefully, I will have an update on this for the GULC thread.

Return to “Transfers”