Top 25% at T-20: CCN or MVP Chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where Do I have the best chance?

Columbia
4%
Chicago
4%
NYU
29%
Penn
14%
No shot at transferring, leave and become a plumber
50%

Total votes: 28

TheNextAmendment

Re: Top 25% at T-20: CCN or MVP Chances?

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:09 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:I mean at least 3 people went to non GULC T14s with unexceptional grades. WUSTL also doesn't publish a median and GPAs are insanely inflated so maybe that has helped some in WUSTL's case at least.

Source

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:35 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:I mean at least 3 people went to non GULC T14s with unexceptional grades. WUSTL also doesn't publish a median and GPAs are insanely inflated so maybe that has helped some in WUSTL's case at least.

Source

Oh yeah lemme just whip up social security numbers and shit, hold on.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Source

I don't get your joke. "I have friends that meet the above criteria, so my evidence is mostly anecdotal" would have been fine

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Can independently confirm a few cases scotti is talking about

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:02 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

Source

I don't get your joke. "I have friends that meet the above criteria, so my evidence is mostly anecdotal" would have been fine

I mean what else would be my source?

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Worth nothing that these WUStL cases all jumped in a down year and struggled with jobs at their new schools. I don't think a t-20 to a low t-14 move with merely above average grades makes sense if it involves taking on more debt (geographical factors excluded).

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:38 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:Worth nothing that these WUStL cases all jumped in a down year and struggled with jobs at their new schools. I don't think a t-20 to a low t-14 move with merely above average grades makes sense if it involves taking on more debt (geographical factors excluded).

Can confirm this. Know for a fact that some of the kids who jumped to schools lower than Penn either struck out or faced significant challenges at OCI at the new school.

Ron Don Volante wrote:Can independently confirm a few cases scotti is talking about

I was friends/classmates with all the WUSTL kids Scotti is referring to and can confirm. Three outside the top third were admitted to Michigan.

Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:It's just easier to transfer now. Someone was also within the top 20% and got Chicago and CLS.

Now as in the past year? Are you basing this on any information? (Not meaning to be insulting in any way, just trying to see if there are hard numbers out there)

So top 20% gives you a chance then at CCN or MVP? Now I'm kind of hearing conflicting information

I don't know if top 20% gives you solid chance at CCNMVP, but I can confirm Scotti's intel on this someone as well. And yes that person was in the past year (is now 2L)

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:56 pm

^ keep in mind that T20% -> CCN had unusual circumstances as well. Also, didn't choose the better school in the same city. asshole

KanyeShrug

Postby KanyeShrug » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:20 pm

lulz

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 am

lhanvt13 wrote:^ keep in mind that T20% -> CCN had unusual circumstances as well. Also, didn't choose the better school in the same city. asshole

What amounts to special circumstances? URM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:04 pm

cusenation wrote:
MagicMike80 wrote:Worth nothing that these WUStL cases all jumped in a down year and struggled with jobs at their new schools. I don't think a t-20 to a low t-14 move with merely above average grades makes sense if it involves taking on more debt (geographical factors excluded).

Can confirm this. Know for a fact that some of the kids who jumped to schools lower than Penn either struck out or faced significant challenges at OCI at the new school.

Ron Don Volante wrote:Can independently confirm a few cases scotti is talking about

I was friends/classmates with all the WUSTL kids Scotti is referring to and can confirm. Three outside the top third were admitted to Michigan.

Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:It's just easier to transfer now. Someone was also within the top 20% and got Chicago and CLS.

Now as in the past year? Are you basing this on any information? (Not meaning to be insulting in any way, just trying to see if there are hard numbers out there)

So top 20% gives you a chance then at CCN or MVP? Now I'm kind of hearing conflicting information

I don't know if top 20% gives you solid chance at CCNMVP, but I can confirm Scotti's intel on this someone as well. And yes that person was in the past year (is now 2L)

Wouldn't it be easier jumping to a lower t-14 from a t-20 as employers would think your grades are more transferable? (i.e. top 1% at a T1 isn't going to maintain that at Harvard, but someone say top 15% at a t-20 could more likely maintain that at a lower t-14...) or is that completely and totally wrong?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm sure it depends. But transfers generally ime do well at the new school. Two of my friends from WUSTL to HLS got DS in 1-2 classes as soon as they got there. Another 3L ahead of me here at Chicago who came from WUSTL was top 5% after his first year here. I'm not like killing it here but I'm still doing pretty well. I think ppl who are just good at these law exams generally do well anywhere. I'm not sure how employers view it. Half of us killed it, other half did around the same as the native median student. But we still had a good amount of overlap with the native law review kids and such for top firms and clerkships

irish921

Postby irish921 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Top quarter T20 is not making it to Penn without a generous helping of luck. Just too low. Top 20% and it starts getting much more interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:25 pm

irish921 wrote:Top quarter T20 is not making it to Penn without a generous helping of luck. Just too low. Top 20% and it starts getting much more interesting.

What about a1L SA? Not WUSTL but also top 25% T-20

Return to “Transfers”