WCL Transfer Question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vthokies88

Re: WCL Transfer Question

Postby vthokies88 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is the situation: I just finished in the top 5% of the class in the first semester at American WCL with a 3.9 GPA. I have been offered a fellowship with a significant amount of money to stay at the school, but I have to sign a form saying that I will not transfer out. I understand that the job prospects may increase should I transfer, but I find this fellowship enticing. I know that WCL has been getting bad press lately, but I have very much enjoyed my experience at the school so far regardless of what others think of it. I want to get as much advice as I can before making a final decision. Thoughts?

This is so stupid. Instead of listening to these clowns who think anyone who doesn't go to HYS is worthless, think for yourself. With the exception of one person who has the personality of a rock, everyone I know who is in the top 5% and went through OCI has an offer from big law. Grade onto AULR (or do write-on, but with a 3.9, you'll definitely be able to grade on), and if you want biglaw, you'll be fine. It is INCREDIBLY stupid to transfer with your GPA. I'm a 3L at American, so feel free to message me if you want more info.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm

vthokies88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Here is the situation: I just finished in the top 5% of the class in the first semester at American WCL with a 3.9 GPA. I have been offered a fellowship with a significant amount of money to stay at the school, but I have to sign a form saying that I will not transfer out. I understand that the job prospects may increase should I transfer, but I find this fellowship enticing. I know that WCL has been getting bad press lately, but I have very much enjoyed my experience at the school so far regardless of what others think of it. I want to get as much advice as I can before making a final decision. Thoughts?

This is so stupid. Instead of listening to these clowns who think anyone who doesn't go to HYS is worthless, think for yourself. With the exception of one person who has the personality of a rock, everyone I know who is in the top 5% and went through OCI has an offer from big law. Grade onto AULR (or do write-on, but with a 3.9, you'll definitely be able to grade on), and if you want biglaw, you'll be fine. It is INCREDIBLY stupid to transfer with your GPA. I'm a 3L at American, so feel free to message me if you want more info.

ignore this unprefstigious, jealous peasant and join us at a decent school next fall.

Get off the sinking ship that's going to sttttink up your resume the next 50 years.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Transfer. You'll get into multiple T14. Likely CCN with that GPA; maybe even HLS.

vthokies88

Postby vthokies88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
vthokies88 wrote:

ignore this unprefstigious, jealous peasant and join us at a decent school next fall.

Get off the sinking ship that's going to sttttink up your resume the next 50 years.

Hahahaha OP: This is the exact kind of person you don't want to be like, and that attitude won't get anyone very far in life. You can get big law if that's what you want. I'm not telling you not to transfer, but I am telling you that with your GPA and rank, you can get a job at a large firm, at a good government agency, etc. I've known and heard about people who have transferred to GW and GULC, and they're not in any better of a position than they would have been if they had stayed at AU. Don't let TLS sway you--the numbers for people in your position speak for themselves.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:08 am

OP. Want to know another type of person you don't want to be like? A jobless person.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:18 am

OP: what kind of bottom barrel, urinal law school sends out emails after the first semester begging people not to transfer in exchange for puny scholarship increases? one that knows it makes sense for its students to transfer

ignore the 3L

vthokies88

Postby vthokies88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:24 am

CounselorNebby wrote:OP. Want to know another type of person you don't want to be like? A jobless person.

And if you're really in the top 5% (or even top 15%), you won't be. I thought about transferring too, but I didn't. I'm in just as good of a position as I would have been if I had transferred. Again, not telling you to stay at WCL...just telling you the real story that you won't hear on TLS.

vthokies88

Postby vthokies88 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

zombie mcavoy wrote:OP: what kind of bottom barrel, urinal law school sends out emails after the first semester begging people not to transfer in exchange for puny scholarship increases? one that knows it makes sense for its students to transfer

ignore the 3L

Yep - ignore the only person on here with firsthand knowledge...because that makes sense.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 am

vthokies88 wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:OP: what kind of bottom barrel, urinal law school sends out emails after the first semester begging people not to transfer in exchange for puny scholarship increases? one that knows it makes sense for its students to transfer

ignore the 3L

Yep - ignore the only person on here with firsthand knowledge...because that makes sense.

I don't have firsthand experience at Cooley, either, but I'm pretty confident in saying it's dogshit.

Yes, if OP stays he might be able to find a comparable entry-level job as he would as a transfer to a T6. Maybe. But even if that were the case, over the course of his career, transferring to a school that isn't infamous for totally sucking ass--but is instead one of the best schools in the country--is going to be worth taking some debt.

WCL isn't even offering a fully; fuck 'em, OP.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:40 am

vthokies88 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:OP. Want to know another type of person you don't want to be like? A jobless person.

And if you're really in the top 5% (or even top 15%), you won't be. I thought about transferring too, but I didn't. I'm in just as good of a position as I would have been if I had transferred. Again, not telling you to stay at WCL...just telling you the real story that you won't hear on TLS.

I was top 5% at another T2 and xfer'd to CCN.
Get on muh lvl

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm

vthokies88 wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:
vthokies88 wrote:

Hahahaha OP: This is the exact kind of person you don't want to be like, and that attitude won't get anyone very far in life. You can get big law if that's what you want. I'm not telling you not to transfer, but I am telling you that with your GPA and rank, you can get a job at a large firm, at a good government agency, etc. I've known and heard about people who have transferred to GW and GULC, and they're not in any better of a position than they would have been if they had stayed at AU. Don't let TLS sway you--the numbers for people in your position speak for themselves.

Just want to point out that you have no idea what kind of person OP does or doesn't want to be like. Also, just because you made a poor decision in not transferring doesn't mean OP has to make the same one.

Firms recruit and hire folks based off of the school's reputation. WCL's reputation is circling the toilet and quickly. Sure, firms know they probably can get some pretty talented folks from WCL, but why would they actually go to WCL to interview when anyone from WCL worth interviewing isn't there anymore and instead are at GW or GULC? I mean to me it says something about a person's reasoning abilities if they had the opportunity to transfer out of WCL and didn't...

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:05 am

OP. Pm me, let's get you ready to transfer.

islanders

Postby islanders » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Did you end up applying for transfer? I'm at WCL now as well.

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm

islanders wrote:Did you end up applying for transfer? I'm at WCL now as well.

considering like 40 percent jumps off that sinking ship annually yeah I'm gonna go ahead and guess he did

m.r.ducks

Postby m.r.ducks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:51 pm

While it may be true that many of the top 5% at American do just fine, transferring is not uncommon. I have met at least a dozen accepted law review members that have transferred to GW and Georgetown. While transfers still face an uphill battle finding a job, at least you can participate in a better OCI. My Amlaw 120 firm as well as our slightly larger building mate do not even recruit at American for OCI anymore, despite having a large contingent of partners from there (catholic as well). I don't quite understand this strategy as all are in the same city, but there it is.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:55 pm

m.r.ducks wrote:While it may be true that many of the top 5% at American do just fine, transferring is not uncommon. I have met at least a dozen accepted law review members that have transferred to GW and Georgetown. While transfers still face an uphill battle finding a job, at least you can participate in a better OCI. My Amlaw 120 firm as well as our slightly larger building mate do not even recruit at American for OCI anymore, despite having a large contingent of partners from there (catholic as well). I don't quite understand this strategy as all are in the same city, but there it is.

The students are turds that didn't transfer so per se idiots not worth hiring. HTH

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 pm

:lol:

timesnewboston

Postby timesnewboston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm curious what Nebby and others would recommend to TT students only in top 20% who prob can't get t14 (me). Emory, BU, BC ?

zombie mcavoy

Postby zombie mcavoy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:07 pm

timesnewboston wrote:I'm curious what Nebby and others would recommend to TT students only in top 20% who prob can't get t14 (me). Emory, BU, BC ?

probably make your own thread. What's your scholarship/financial situation? All of those schools at sticker debt w/o biglaw grades sounds like a pretty bad idea.

timesnewboston

Postby timesnewboston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:30 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
timesnewboston wrote:I'm curious what Nebby and others would recommend to TT students only in top 20% who prob can't get t14 (me). Emory, BU, BC ?

probably make your own thread. What's your scholarship/financial situation? All of those schools at sticker debt w/o biglaw grades sounds like a pretty bad idea.

I have a half scholarship at TT but debt really isn't an issue because of my family. I guess I should just focus on moving up to the top 10% this semester.

Return to “Transfers”