#1 at T25-T35 --> T6?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
passwordistaco

#1 at T25-T35 --> T6?

Postby passwordistaco » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 am

Like the subject line says, #1 at a T25-T35 after 1st semester. Two awards for highest grade in class.

Currently I am at close to a full ride; I will be in roughly $50k of debt if I stay at current school.

I would love to end up at big law in DC doing IP litigation (BS in biochem). It's not impossible from my current school, but not common. Big law in my current region is definitely within reach as things stand. I do have family ties in my current region so I wouldn't be upset.

I feel like my main reason for considering a transfer is for career options further down the road, but maybe that makes no sense.

Obviously I have to keep my grades up, but is it worth trying to transfer? And if so which schools could/should I transfer to?

Appreciate any advice. I never expected to do so well so I hadn't put much thought into this before grades came out.

Username123

Re: #1 at T25-T35 --> T6?

Postby Username123 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:40 am

I think this depends on which T25-35 and which of the T6 - HYS or CCN?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:42 am

Getting into IP lit with only a BS in biochem is going to be a bitch, but I think keeping that #1 ranking up will really help you stand out. I think it's silly to focus on IP Lit vs. general lit if the goal is DC big law, which should be easy from #1. Transferring and paying sticker means basically going from 50k in debt to 175k in debt at graduation, or an extra $1500/month off your income. Obviously you know your school numbers better than I do since you haven't said your school, but I can't imagine you not being highly competitive as is. I'd also think that maybe you might wanna consider just finding a big firm taht has good general lit and also good IP, and sneaking your way over to their group over the summer.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 am

Top 1% at a T1 will get you into CCN and HLS, as well as a good chance at YS.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Transfer. If in doubt, just review placement stats of your current law school with those of the T-6 law schools.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 pm

passwordistaco wrote:I would love to end up at big law in DC doing IP litigation (BS in biochem).

If that's your goal, then there's something you should be prioritizing over transferring: getting a 1L SA in DC at a firm that does patent lit. Apply everywhere...Finnegan, Fish, etc.

If you're #1 in your class with a B.S. in biochem, someone will hire you. Do the transfer-or-not-to-transfer calculation after landing the SA.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Transfer. If in doubt, just review placement stats of your current law school with those of the T-6 law schools.

That's great advice for a 0L considering between a T6 and a T25, but not really relevant for a 1L who is #1 in his or her class (and who has close to a full ride at the 1L school).
Last edited by rpupkin on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlerraider1

Postby butlerraider1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:29 pm

rpupkin wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Transfer. If in doubt, just review placement stats of your current law school with those of the T-6 law schools.

That's great advice for a 0L considering between a T6 and a T25, but not really relevant for a 1L who is #1 in his or her class (and who has close a full ride at the 1L school).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Depends upon the current school & whether or not OP maintains a high rank at the end of the first year. Best to fill out the transfer apps & see what happens. A T-6 degree is worth the effort.

P.S. Not sure if this is still accurate, but Chicago may evaluate your transfer app based on your first semester grades,

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:

That's great advice for a 0L considering between a T6 and a T25, but not really relevant for a 1L who is #1 in his or her class (and who has close to a full ride at the 1L school).

This... when you're a 0L, you need to consider not what your prospects are if you end up on top, but rather what your prospects are at Median, with a look at the best- and worst-case scenarios as well. As a 1L who's #1 in your class, you need to consider what your prospects look like from your current position vs what it looks like for a transfer at a potential target school.

Return to “Transfers”