T1 B1G to Chicago or NU

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T1 B1G to Chicago or NU

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:51 pm

Pretty new to the community so thought i could get some advice. I'm just inside top 15% at a T1 B1G school (not Minn). I'm from Illinois, would ultimately love to end up in Chicago, and big law would be a huge plus. Are either of these possible and if so would they be worth considering? I am completely happy at the school i am at but if i can improve my career opportunities i would consider the move. Thanks!

Dog

Re: T1 B1G to Chicago or NU

Postby Dog » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 pm

I think this depends pretty heavily on where you're at and if you have a scholarship. A few of the non-t14 big ten schools will give you a shot at Chicago biglaw if you're top 10-15%.

Your career opportunities could definitely improve but this becomes a question of cost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm

OP here. I know i should probably just wait on second semester grades anyways, but assuming things stay roughly the same here's some more info. I just want to make sure i put myself in the best position to end up in Chicago if at all possible, especially since i've heard mixed results about OCI when you are outside the top 10%.
School: UIUC
$$:2/3/year
Non-URM (if that matters)

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Top 15% at UIUC probably gives you the best shot at Chicago biglaw of any of the B1G, Minn included (IMHO I think Minn.'s ranking is overblown and it's placing power is not nearly as strong as the rankings would make it out to look, but that's another discussion for another time). If making the jump is a good idea or not really comes down to how "biglaw or bust" you are and how much debt you're willing to stomach.

Return to “Transfers”