One Horrible Grade otherwise above median at T-20. Chances?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

One Horrible Grade otherwise above median at T-20. Chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:16 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Re: One Horrible Grade otherwise above median at T-20. Chances?

Postby BVest » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 am

What could you possibly hope to gain by going from T20 to GULC or other lower T14 schools? And do you really expect to have spring grades by May 15?

goden

Postby goden » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:41 am

Just stay at u$c

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:55 am

TLS received wisdom aside, I have unique reasons for wanting to go to GULC. My concern is to what extent this one grade will knock down everything else, which thus far is an A or A-. Would I be eligible for t-6?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:TLS received wisdom aside, I have unique reasons for wanting to go to GULC. My concern is to what extent this one grade will knock down everything else, which thus far is an A or A-. Would I be eligible for t-6?

Although I'm no authority on transferring, I have a really hard time imagining schools looking at one 3.42 differently than another 3.42. So you should consider yourself a 3.42, not a 3.7 and not a 3.5 or anything else in between. So, if 3.42 makes you a viable/borderline candidate for a given school, then mayyybe you'll find yourself in a position (i.e., in a personal statement) where you can sell the fact that 3.42 underestimates your overall ability. But for schools where your 3.42 simply isn't good enough, I don't think it will help at all that your 3.42 is more A-heavy than may be typical.

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:13 am

Do not transfer.

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 pm

“You only got to fuck up once… Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. How you ain’t gonna never be slow? Never be late? That’s life. Yeah. It scares me.”

My advice is stop fucking up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:17 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:“You only got to fuck up once… Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. How you ain’t gonna never be slow? Never be late? That’s life. Yeah. It scares me.”

My advice is stop fucking up.

???

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm

If you have a personal reason that you must be at GULC for your final two years, that's fine. I'm definitely not one to criticize a not-that-big-a-leap transfer for necessary personal reasons, but I don't gather that's the case since you're also considering the rest of T14. As far as "unique" reasons, are they so unique that they could not also be satisfied by doing a visiting 3L at GULC?

And one more thing to consider, depending on what exactly you mean by "the lowest possible grade to give out": Many schools have explicit or implicit floors for grades eligible for transfer credit. i.e. Columbia has an explicit floor:
No credit will be accepted in transfer for courses in which the student has received a grade lower than C.

and GULC has an implicit floor:

After evaluation of your law school transcript by our Registrar's office, up to 31 credits may be transferred.

So you're going to want to know before you transfer if you're going to have to take LRW all over again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Class rank/percentage is all that matters. That bad grade hurts you only inasmuch as it hurts the aforementioned criteria.

Return to “Transfers”