Should I transfer from NYU to Lewis and Clark?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I transfer to L&C from NYU?

Yes, Portland job prospects will be similar, plus lower living expenses
2%
No, you will risk not getting a job, you idiot
90%
I'm too blinded by my love of prestige to answer constructively.
8%

Total votes: 48

Anonymous User

Should I transfer from NYU to Lewis and Clark?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 am

Shocking, I know. BUT, I'm here at NYU with no scholly and expensive housing. My grades last semester were mediocre. I plan to live in Portland and my significant other is moving there this March. I can live with said SO for free/minimal living expense contributions. We've been together for a long time, lived together before I came to NY for law school, and plan on getting married after law school, so "what if you break up" concerns don't really apply. :)

I'm thinking if I can get a scholly from Lewis and Clark it might be worth it? But I heard transfers don't get schollys. Does anyone know more about the Portland job market? I've been researching and applying for summer jobs, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off at Lewis and Clark in the long run.

LSAT was 172, undergrad gpa was 3.3 at a UC school. Law school grades are bottom half of the class, but not rock bottom of the class.

Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog

Re: Should I transfer from NYU to Lewis and Clark?

Postby Dog » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:02 pm

You already have a year of NYU debt. You're thinking of transferring to a school with 46% non school funded employment from a school with 86% non school funded employment. Median salaries are 50k out of Lewis and Clark, 160k out of NYU. If you don't get a huge scholarship out of Lewis and Clark your debt would likely be very difficult to manage out of there. It might be difficult even with a huge scholarship.

I'm not saying transferring is without a doubt the wrong move, but you need to consider things very carefully.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:07 pm

You won't be getting a scholarship of any real size and will be cutting your employment outcomes in half. This is a really bad idea. You should stick it out at NYU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:12 pm

OP here,

I'm aware of the school's employment prospects and median salaries as they are nationally, but my question is more specific to the very insular legal community in Portland, which is where I intend to reside permanently. I'm hoping to get insight from someone who has experience applying to/working in Portland. It seems they love to hire from Lewis and Clark - from what I've seen they take about a third of new hires from L & C. As far as the salary goes, Portland firms aren't at the $160k range. The very few "big" firms they have max out new hires at about $115k, which should be the same regardless of whether they take you from NYU or L & C, no? Additional thoughts given this perspective?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Who are "they" and how many does "1/3 of new hires from L&C" actually turn out to be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:27 pm

"They" are the 8 biggest firms in Portland, who collectively hire 30 2L summer associates, half of whom appear to be from L&C.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:27 pm

well, it varies from 1/3 to 1/2 from the listings I've seen on their websites.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:32 pm

I don't have experience with Portland, but employers in insular legal markets are generally more concerned with your connection to an area, rather than going to school in the area. If your fiance is there, that is enough for most places and stronger than some out-of-towner going to school locally. My experience is based on Texas and Baltimore.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

tell nyu you got accepted to lewis and clark, maybe they'll give you a scholarship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:46 pm

^ I wish...

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:57 pm

No. (To OP. This warrants no further analysis. There should have been a poll.)

fratstar1

Postby fratstar1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:03 pm

I think the issue is that while some people coming out of lewis and clark get a job at a big portland firm most don't and if you want a big firm job the responsible thing to do is not transfer to lewis and clark. Honestly your best move would be to drop out, move to portland, apply to lewis and clark and use the lsat to net a full scholly if your hell bent on doing that. Otherwise I would stick it out another year apply to get an SA in portland or the surrounding area and apply as a visiting student your 3rd year at NYU to hang w/hubby.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

OP sitting down in first day of corporations:

"hey guys, what's up, I'm new here. yeah, just transferred in from NYU. good school and all but they just weren't paying me enough to stay. *leans back, hands behind head* so who do we talk to about some jobs around here?"

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"They" are the 8 biggest firms in Portland, who collectively hire 30 2L summer associates, half of whom appear to be from L&C.

That's just a really small number of people, is all.

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:05 pm

OP if she knows about this thread she's already cheating on you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:31 pm

OP = hetero girl. My SO has offered to pay my NYU 1L debt if I move in with him. I would never accept money like that, but I don't think there's any cheating going on there... :lol:

gentlemanscholar

Postby gentlemanscholar » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm

what if you guys break up???

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP = hetero girl. My SO has offered to pay my NYU 1L debt if I move in with him. I would never accept money like that, but I don't think there's any cheating going on there... :lol:

lol that makes it even worse somehow

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Update! New poll lets you mock me with just the click of a button!

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm

i voted even though i'm 100% sure this is troll

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:08 pm

I wish I were trolling. I'm just trying to have a good attitude about how crazy everyone thinks I am. From my perspective, it's not so insane to try to cut out debt and enjoy life a little more by living with my SO. I'm going to talk it over with career services, but in all likelihood I'll stay at NYU and maybe visit L & C as someone suggested.

Since the summer job thing with a firm is looking fruitless, I'm going to see if a judge will pay me next to nothing to clerk. L & C also has some super condensed summer classes in environmental law that I might take if whatever pathetic job I (hopefully) get is part time.

I'm just struggling with getting mediocre grades despite actually trying. My 3.3 from a UC was me phoning it in and only showing up half the time. It's a totally different story because now I'm actually putting in all the work and still doing terribly. I'm a bit discouraged, so I was looking for a way out. I realize, however, that although these circumstances are stressing me the fuck out, they are very trivial problems to have. I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Thank you for the input, everyone. (Except the person who said it was "somehow" worse because I'm a girl. That's lame. Everyone else was chill, though.)

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(Except the person who said it was "somehow" worse because I'm a girl. That's lame. Everyone else was chill, though.)

LOL that's how you interpreted my post? maybe dial down the victim complex?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Since the summer job thing with a firm is looking fruitless, I'm going to see if a judge will pay me next to nothing to clerk.

well you're allowed to add that to whatever you get from pilc summer funding iirc
also if you're dorming i think you can get a slight discount for being a clerk

i take it you weren't banking on private sector and signed up for summer funding and the job fair?

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Brut wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since the summer job thing with a firm is looking fruitless, I'm going to see if a judge will pay me next to nothing to clerk.

well you're allowed to add that to whatever you get from pilc summer funding iirc
also if you're dorming i think you can get a slight discount for being a clerk

i take it you weren't banking on private sector and signed up for summer funding and the job fair?

I, uh, screwed that up as well, actually *cough* yeah.

Return to “Transfers”