Cross Town Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cross Town Transfer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 pm

I am a current 1L in DC at a T2 school thinking of transferring to either GT or GW. My first semester GPA was 3.75. I know both have early action transfers. Should I transfer to one of the district's higher ranked schools and should I go for the early decision with just 1 semester's grades? Neither early action is binding. I have also heard that students fill out all the transfer work to get increased scholarships at their current school. Does this actually work?

Thanks.

Nebby

Re: Cross Town Transfer

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:01 pm

What is your rank or class percentile? Top 10% will get you into either GW or GULC. If you're dead set on staying in DC, then early action. What career do you hope to have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Class ranks aren't given until after the first full year. I plan on staying in DC would like to study business law (broadly) but not sure exactly what area yet.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:17 pm

What is your school's median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 pm

Curve is B/B+

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 pm

You're at American or Catholic, correct?

Catholic's median is ~3.2 (http://www.law.edu/res/docs/registrar/D ... rerank.pdf)
American's median is ~3.27 (https://www.wcl.american.edu/registrar/classrank.cfm)

It looks like you'd be top 7% ish at Catholic and top 5% at American.
Last edited by txdude45 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 pm

txdude45 wrote:You're at American or Catholic, correct?

Catholic's median is ~3.2 (http://www.law.edu/res/docs/registrar/D ... rerank.pdf)
American's median is ~3.27 (https://www.wcl.american.edu/registrar/classrank.cfm)

correct

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 pm

has GW actively tried to recruit/poach you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 pm

fats provolone wrote:has GW actively tried to recruit/poach you?

No they have not. However, grades recently were posted and I'm not sure how they would get that information only days after we got it. Is that something they are known for doing?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fats provolone wrote:has GW actively tried to recruit/poach you?

No they have not. However, grades recently were posted and I'm not sure how they would get that information only days after we got it. Is that something they are known for doing?

the dean of american law school wrote a letter complaining about GW "poaching" all the top american students so i was curious

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 am

I would think that jumping from your school to Gtown would make a ton of long-term sense, even if you're not paying sticker now. That is a little less true of GWU, but probably true still, although then you might want to consider how much money you're getting now. But here's the thing: your grades may never be better than they are now, and a decision from Gtown or GWU wouldn't be binding. Why not apply? If you are rejected, you've lost only the application fees. If you're accepted, you don't have to go, but you have options.

Return to “Transfers”