Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm

What ranking would I need to transfer from Berkeley to HYS? I'm interested in academia, or at least in keeping that option open for the long term. I'm paying sticker but I will graduate with zero debt.

Would it be sufficient if one has H H H first semester then HH HH HH second semester?

Berkeley's grading system:
HH - top 10%
H - next 30%
P - bottom 60%

Disclaimer: My fall grades were H H H. With one H being literally 3 points away from an HH and I already have a LOR from that Professor that states that.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 pm

First of all, why are you so desperate to transfer to YHS? The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.

That being said, you're gonna have to do a lot better than straight H's. You probably need a minimum of 3 HH's to have a decent shot, meaning you'd have to be top 10% in 3/4 classes. A letter from your professor is about as useful as an addendum in your law school application stating that you were sick on LSAT test day.

solucky
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby solucky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:59 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:First of all, why are you so desperate to transfer to YHS? The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.

That being said, you're gonna have to do a lot better than straight H's. You probably need a minimum of 3 HH's to have a decent shot, meaning you'd have to be top 10% in 3/4 classes. A letter from your professor is about as useful as an addendum in your law school application stating that you were sick on LSAT test day.


Lol. Relax.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm

since im a masochist, could you please explain this

I'm paying sticker but I will graduate with zero debt.

User avatar
ballcaps
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby ballcaps » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm

fats provolone wrote:since im a masochist, could you please explain this

I'm paying sticker but I will graduate with zero debt.


sticker price without loans means SCRILLA

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:22 pm

ballcaps wrote:
fats provolone wrote:since im a masochist, could you please explain this

I'm paying sticker but I will graduate with zero debt.


sticker price without loans means SCRILLA

yes i know i want to hear about it

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.


Don't be an asshole. Throwing around the phrase "prestige whoring" may be a great way to vent one's own anxieties over perceived inadequacy, but it isn't helpful to OP's question. If you can't think of anything useful to say and can only denigrate other people, just keep your mouth closed.

OP, wanting the additional esteem/respect that may accompany a YHS degree is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. I would think carefully about the decision, because even though you are paying sticker now, you would still have a lot to give up (LR opportunities, relationships with professors, friendships, general life upheaval), but if I were in your situation, I would also be giving strong thought to transferring. Your grades are good, and keep in mind that a person who is in the top 30% in three separate courses is probably much higher ranked than top 30% overall, given that grades are assigned independently of one another. To answer your question, no one knows; YHS admissions is truly a black box. People you wouldn't expect get admitted each year, and people you wouldn't expect get rejected each year. Your first semester grades are good, but the better your grades are second semester, the better your transfer odds will be, obviously. I know you want some reassurance, but no one can give you that. Bust your ass next semester and try to get the highest grades possible. That should be your only focus now.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:37 pm

H is more of a green box

SLS_AMG
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby SLS_AMG » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.


Don't be an asshole. Throwing around the phrase "prestige whoring" may be a great way to vent one's own anxieties over perceived inadequacy, but it isn't helpful to OP's question. If you can't think of anything useful to say and can only denigrate other people, just keep your mouth closed.

OP, wanting the additional esteem/respect that may accompany a YHS degree is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. I would think carefully about the decision, because even though you are paying sticker now, you would still have a lot to give up (LR opportunities, relationships with professors, friendships, general life upheaval), but if I were in your situation, I would also be giving strong thought to transferring. Your grades are good, and keep in mind that a person who is in the top 30% in three separate courses is probably much higher ranked than top 30% overall, given that grades are assigned independently of one another. To answer your question, no one knows; YHS admissions is truly a black box. People you wouldn't expect get admitted each year, and people you wouldn't expect get rejected each year. Your first semester grades are good, but the better your grades are second semester, the better your transfer odds will be, obviously. I know you want some reassurance, but no one can give you that. Bust your ass next semester and try to get the highest grades possible. That should be your only focus now.


Don't be a dumbass. You contributed nothing to this thread. H is a black box? LOL. No. Just no. You also can't even do math. H is top 40% at Boalt, not top 30%.

Also, my post was not intended to denigrate OP; rather, it was intended to give him/her a swift kick in the nuts to do some soul-searching. Prestige whoring alone is a terrible reason to transfer. Unless OP wants to go to Yale to be an academic, he/she is going to be judged based on 1L grades at Boalt, and any job is attainable at any of these four schools.

OP: straight H's puts you at roughly top 25–30% at Boalt. You need to be top 10% to feel good about transferring. Good luck.

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:44 am

SLS_AMG wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.


Don't be an asshole. Throwing around the phrase "prestige whoring" may be a great way to vent one's own anxieties over perceived inadequacy, but it isn't helpful to OP's question. If you can't think of anything useful to say and can only denigrate other people, just keep your mouth closed.

OP, wanting the additional esteem/respect that may accompany a YHS degree is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. I would think carefully about the decision, because even though you are paying sticker now, you would still have a lot to give up (LR opportunities, relationships with professors, friendships, general life upheaval), but if I were in your situation, I would also be giving strong thought to transferring. Your grades are good, and keep in mind that a person who is in the top 30% in three separate courses is probably much higher ranked than top 30% overall, given that grades are assigned independently of one another. To answer your question, no one knows; YHS admissions is truly a black box. People you wouldn't expect get admitted each year, and people you wouldn't expect get rejected each year. Your first semester grades are good, but the better your grades are second semester, the better your transfer odds will be, obviously. I know you want some reassurance, but no one can give you that. Bust your ass next semester and try to get the highest grades possible. That should be your only focus now.


H is a black box? LOL. No. Just no. You also can't even do math. H is top 40% at Boalt, not top 30%.

Prestige whoring alone is a terrible reason to transfer. Unless OP wants to go to Yale to be an academic, he/she is going to be judged based on 1L grades at Boalt, and any job is attainable at any of these four schools.

OP: straight H's puts you at roughly top 25–30% at Boalt. You need to be top 10% to feel good about transferring. Good luck.


What you call prestige-whoring is what other people call wanting to spend the rest of their lives with a degree from one of the top schools in the field. The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do. That phrase says nothing about its target and everything about its user. I am sorry that you were rejected by YHS but that is no reason to take out your frustration on me or OP.

Also, you apparently have no clue what I was saying math-wise. If a single H puts you in the top 30% in a single course, then three H's puts you in a substantially better position than top 30% of your class. This is also true even if, as you claim, an H actually puts you in the top 40% of your class. This can be demonstrated very simply. If you flip a coin, your odds of landing a heads would be 50%. If you flipped three coins, however, your odds of landing three heads would be much lower than 50% - they would be (.5)^3, or 12.5%. Of course, this is not a perfect comparison, because the outcomes of coin flips are completely independent of one another, whereas there is good reason to expect that a person who does very well in Torts is likelier than the average student to do very well in Civ Pro, who is likelier than the average student to do very well in Contracts, etc. This is very simple, very basic statistics, and your total failure to understand that means you are not in a position to be advising anybody about their likely class rank.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that a federal clerkship will be much easier to obtain from YHS than from OP's current school.

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:45 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:The fact that you failed to specify one in particular indicates that you don't have a particular reason to transfer other than prestige whoring. And if you have the grades at Berkeley to get into YHS, you can essentially do anything that you'd be able to do from those schools. Most on here would rightly encourage you not to throw away excellent grades just to go up a few spots on USNWR.


Don't be an asshole. Throwing around the phrase "prestige whoring" may be a great way to vent one's own anxieties over perceived inadequacy, but it isn't helpful to OP's question. If you can't think of anything useful to say and can only denigrate other people, just keep your mouth closed.

OP, wanting the additional esteem/respect that may accompany a YHS degree is a perfectly legitimate reason to transfer. I would think carefully about the decision, because even though you are paying sticker now, you would still have a lot to give up (LR opportunities, relationships with professors, friendships, general life upheaval), but if I were in your situation, I would also be giving strong thought to transferring. Your grades are good, and keep in mind that a person who is in the top 30% in three separate courses is probably much higher ranked than top 30% overall, given that grades are assigned independently of one another. To answer your question, no one knows; YHS admissions is truly a black box. People you wouldn't expect get admitted each year, and people you wouldn't expect get rejected each year. Your first semester grades are good, but the better your grades are second semester, the better your transfer odds will be, obviously. I know you want some reassurance, but no one can give you that. Bust your ass next semester and try to get the highest grades possible. That should be your only focus now.


H is a black box? LOL. No. Just no. You also can't even do math. H is top 40% at Boalt, not top 30%.

Prestige whoring alone is a terrible reason to transfer. Unless OP wants to go to Yale to be an academic, he/she is going to be judged based on 1L grades at Boalt, and any job is attainable at any of these four schools.

OP: straight H's puts you at roughly top 25–30% at Boalt. You need to be top 10% to feel good about transferring. Good luck.



What you call "prestige whoring" is what other people call wanting to spend the rest of their lives with a degree from one of the top schools in the field. The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do. That phrase says nothing about its target and everything about its user. I am sorry that you were rejected by YHS but that is no reason to take out your frustration on me or OP.

Also, you apparently have no clue what I was saying math-wise. If a single H puts you in the top 30% in a single course, then three H's puts you in a substantially better position than top 30% of your class. This is also true even if, as you claim, an H actually puts you in the top 40% of your class. This can be demonstrated very simply. If you flip a coin, your odds of landing a heads would be 50%. If you flipped three coins, however, your odds of landing three heads would be much lower than 50% - they would be (.5)^3, or 12.5%. Of course, this is not a perfect comparison, because the outcomes of coin flips are completely independent of one another, whereas there is good reason to expect that a person who does very well in Torts is likelier than the average student to do very well in Civ Pro, who is likelier than the average student to do very well in Contracts, etc. This is very simple, very basic statistics, and your total failure to understand that means you are not in a position to be advising anybody about their likely class rank.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that a federal clerkship will be much easier to obtain from YHS than from OP's current school.

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21881
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Nebby » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:59 am

You both are worthless

OP, you'll want top 10%. Whatever combo of grades gets you that. You may be able to squeeze into HS with top 15%. I included S because most schools seem to take kindly to instate applicants.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22822
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:02 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:What you call "prestige whoring" is what other people call wanting to spend the rest of their lives with a degree from one of the top schools in the field. The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do. That phrase says nothing about its target and everything about its user. I am sorry that you were rejected by YHS but that is no reason to take out your frustration on me or OP.

I'm sorry, but no, this is just wrong.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that a federal clerkship will be much easier to obtain from YHS than from OP's current school.

I don't know that I'd say much easier.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:08 am

Longtimecoming19 wrote:What you call prestige-whoring is what other people call wanting to spend the rest of their lives with a degree from one of the top schools in the field. The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do. That phrase says nothing about its target and everything about its user. I am sorry that you were rejected by YHS but that is no reason to take out your frustration on me or OP.

LOL I go to Yale and use the term all the time, particularly as self-description of several life choices. There is basically nothing more empty than the gratification of being able to tell people you have X fancy degree--trust me, I know. And I've seen no evidence transfers here do better than they would have at their original school in firm jobs or clerkships.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:31 am

saying you have a prestigious degree is great, let's not discount that too much, but as a transfer you didn't really earn it you just bought it at costco

Longtimecoming19
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Longtimecoming19 wrote:What you call prestige-whoring is what other people call wanting to spend the rest of their lives with a degree from one of the top schools in the field. The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do. That phrase says nothing about its target and everything about its user. I am sorry that you were rejected by YHS but that is no reason to take out your frustration on me or OP.

LOL I go to Yale and use the term all the time, particularly as self-description of several life choices. There is basically nothing more empty than the gratification of being able to tell people you have X fancy degree--trust me, I know. And I've seen no evidence transfers here do better than they would have at their original school in firm jobs or clerkships.


And good for you. But first, it is very different to self-deprecatingly refer to yourself as a prestige whore and to sling that phrase at someone else in a derogatory way. Second, you have no business defining what sources of gratification are permissible for other people to value, so please don't impose your values on someone who may have different ones. Third, you clearly wouldn't be at Yale if you yourself didn't value the prestige, so once again, you really have no business telling someone else that they are shallow for valuing the same things that you value. You could have transferred out of Yale to a lower-ranked school after your 1L year for a full ride plus a living stipend, easily. You didn't do that. Hell, you probably could have transferred out after your 2L year - I bet some school would have gladly waived the four-semesters requirement to nab a Yale 1L. You didn't do that either. Whether you like to acknowledge it or not, you do value the benefit of saying you have/will have a Yale degree, and so it is hypocritical to disparage OP for feeling the same way.

As for whether someone has a better chance of getting a clerkship from Yale given their 1L performance at their old school, sure, you have no way of knowing. Why would you? This is an empirical question--it can actually be answered if you have the right data. You don't. Your (understandable) ignorance on this matter is irrelevant to whether it is true. Now sure, I can't prove it will help either. But there is at least a sufficient basis for a reasonable person to believe it would.

CounselorNebby wrote:
You both are worthless.


Well, you showed me.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:05 pm

this is a shot in the dark but are you a law student, by any chance?

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:]Third, you clearly wouldn't be at Yale if you yourself didn't value the prestige, so once again, you really have no business telling someone else that they are shallow for valuing the same things that you value. You could have transferred out of Yale to a lower-ranked school after your 1L year for a full ride plus a living stipend, easily. You didn't do that. Hell, you probably could have transferred out after your 2L year - I bet some school would have gladly waived the four-semesters requirement to nab a Yale 1L. You didn't do that either. Whether you like to acknowledge it or not, you do value the benefit of saying you have/will have a Yale degree, and so it is hypocritical to disparage OP for feeling the same way.

Yeah, it's definitely either that or that I value the employment benefits (benefits a transfer barely sees, if it all).

(I of course do still value the prestige, but that's because I'm partially dead on the inside. :) )

Anyway, you seem incapable of distinguishing "don't make the same mistake I did" advice (as e.g. Fatduck, who did the exact same thing as OP was considering) from horrible insults. OP never even said s/he was doing it for the prestige--maybe s/he mistakenly things the employment opportunities will be dramatically different.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:39 pm

.
Last edited by kcdc1 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
jumpin munkey
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby jumpin munkey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Is all the Yale discussion hypothetical? Seems like OP has zero chance at Yale.

juzam_djinn
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby juzam_djinn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:40 pm

jumpin munkey wrote:Is all the Yale discussion hypothetical? Seems like OP has zero chance at Yale.


OP getting thrashed in this thread

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:52 pm

Longtimecoming19 wrote:The only people who use terms like "prestige whoring" are people who did not get into top schools and resent those who do.

I graduated from one of HYS and I use the term "prestige whore." I'll even use it in a sentence: "You, Longtimecoming19, seem like something of a prestige whore."

You shouldn't make categorical assertions that are so easy to disprove. Given that you're evidently not smart enough to understand that, I suspect that you didn't go to a prestigious law school like I did.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am

fats provolone wrote:
ballcaps wrote:
fats provolone wrote:since im a masochist, could you please explain this

I'm paying sticker but I will graduate with zero debt.


sticker price without loans means SCRILLA

yes i know i want to hear about it


Generous parents.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Another question: does it matter if we skip con law during spring 2015 in order to take an elective? can we do con law at our transfer school during 2l?

User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 21881
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Berkeley Ranking to Transfer to HYS

Postby Nebby » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another question: does it matter if we skip con law during spring 2015 in order to take an elective? can we do con law at our transfer school during 2l?

Yeah you can. But might as well take it now.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.