Hofstra full ride- transfer out to NYC schools

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Hofstra full ride- transfer out to NYC schools

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Current 1L at Hofstra, 3.75 GPA (One A, 4 A-'s), Full Ride (with top 40% stip), 5 years experience as a paralegal (2 at biglaw).
Hofstra won't rank the class until the end of the year, but i think I'm approximately top 5%. Already have a TA position offer. TLS taught me everything I know.

Don't know what I want to do (need to get my act together), but maybe T&E because that's my 5 years paralegal experience, or maybe matrimonial, maybe employment suits (big on women's rights- so defending discrimination) maybe corporate, but i think I don't want corporate I guess I just want a good paycheck. Getting an offer at previous biglaw firm is unlikely- they're anti Hofstra, even though I left on great terms. Not sure I even want to return to same biglaw firm- would be nice to start fresh somewhere as an associate.

UG GPA 3.2, LSAT 154

Want your advice:
-What are my chances at NYU/Columbia (need to stay in NYC area for personal reasons, currently commuting to Hofstra from city-it's the worst.)
-Worth it to apply to any other NYC school? (Fordham....)
-Pro/Con of graduating top in class from Hofstra with law review, full ride etc. vs. probably being average at top school, paying sticker (I'm broke).
-OCI availability to transfers at NYU/Columbia etc. I know Fordham doesn't offer OCI to transfers, so I'm 95% sure I won't apply there.
-1L job search advice.

Re: Hofstra full ride- transfer out to NYC schools

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Your target market is NY and you're already killing it at Hofstra where you'll graduate with low debt, so I'm not sure an extra 100k is worth it given your situation. Personally, I recommend transferring if you get into NYU or CLS because of the much higher chance of getting biglaw. However, many people on tls would disagree.

Why I recommend transferring: transfers at CLS and NYU do very well at OCI. I'm at NYU and all transfers I know (20+ out of the 50) got biglaw SA, including those from TT. Last year 49/50 got biglaw SA based on discussions with administrators. Additionally, my experience at NYU has been so pleasant as compared to my T20 that I encourage the move. The NYU name alone got me into many firms' doors; I know because some of them told me when discussing the "law school game."

Your chances from Hofstra:
YHS: Top 1%
CCN: Top 5%
People will disagree but based on my experiences and research I feel comfortable giving you this advice.

Do Not Transfer To Fordham or Cardozo. Everyone on this forum will (or should) agree with this given your situation.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Great input, thanks so much for your thoughtful response.

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:28 pm

I tend to agree with the above poster in that if you can get into NYU/CLS then you should go. Your grades can always slip and you don't want to be in that situation at your current school. Whereas, if you can crack a T6 NY school, you're a relative lock on biglaw and the name recognition will carry you down the road if you change paths. IMO it's worth the move. (Full disclosure, I'm a transfer student so I may be biased)

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:30 pm

I would transfer to NYU or above.

Return to “Transfers”