T30 to T14 Taking Questions & Discussion Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T30 to T14 Taking Questions & Discussion Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:52 pm

The benefits of transferring from T20-30 to T14 often aren't as clear as going from TTT to T14 because if you have grades to transfer from T30, you probably have a good chance of ending up okay even if you stay.

Often this decision is further complicated by scholarship/loan considerations.

Feel free to post questions or concerns here and we'll draw upon our experiences to help you come to a decision. I know there are more than a few of us on the boards.

I went from T20 to HYSCCN

FSK

Re: T30 to T14 Taking Questions & Discussion Thread

Postby FSK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:00 pm

I hope your T20 was GW, because though I'll be OK I wish I had left this rat hole.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:01 pm

What was your reason for transferring even though you had "a good chance of ending up okay" at ur t30?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:02 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:I hope your T20 was GW, because though I'll be OK I wish I had left this rat hole.

Story time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:29 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:I hope your T20 was GW, because though I'll be OK I wish I had left this rat hole.

glad to hear everything worked out, but unfortunately it was not GW :(

lhanvt13 wrote:What was your reason for transferring even though you had "a good chance of ending up okay" at ur t30?

The reasons I had when I left are very different from the reasons I would have now in retrospect.

Back then it came down to a mixture of "I want Y job in X market, T20 can't get me there" and "I want to be perceived as an equal at my firm"
(I waited until my preselect screener invitations came out at my T20 before i left, only got 1 screener with satellite office in my target market)

But looking back I would say that the reasons for transferring should be more nuanced. First, after spending more time around lawyers and students here, I don't think wanting to be perceived as an equal at your firm is a good reason. They don't really care. Even when I saw my summer class list and saw a few kids from TTT, my reaction wasn't "oh they must be dumb." In fact was the complete opposite: "Holy shit they must be ballers I can't wait to meet them"

Second, when i transferred my career calculus was basically "Job v. No Job" with a slight geographic preference. But after going through OCI and taking more specific classes, your thinking becomes more thorough to include practice area preference, growth in that field, plausible exit options, and long-term personal plans. At my T20--for the most part--people were lucky to have 1 offer. And whatever offer you got was the one you took. This is perfectly fine from a "job v. no job" perspective. But it can be really shitty if--for example--you want to do M&A and your only offer is Wilson Sonsini NYC...or you want to do VC work but your only offer is Mayer Brown Charlotte. Geography is also a big deal, but that's something that can be reconciled with time (e.g. If you really want California but get stuck in NYC, you can try to return to CA later)

Now, i'll concede that a 2L probably doesn't have a 100% accurate understanding of what kind of work they want to do. But it is when most people really start thinking about it and charting their trajectory. It's not guaranteed that you'll have offers with a firm that does the kind of work you want to do if you transfer. But it does increase the odds. Even if you're not sure what you want to do, having multiple offers almost forces you to compare practice groups and think about what interests you. Which is why i always tell 1L's who PM me about transferring to really start thinking about what they want out of their career. If you are completely indifferent about what you want to do, then the "Job v. No Job" mentality still applies and it makes less sense to transfer if you were going to get some kind of offer anyway.

Return to “Transfers”