Bad GPA Realistic Ability to Transfer after spring semester

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad GPA Realistic Ability to Transfer after spring semester

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:03 am

My GPA is .1 below the median at my t-20 school. I did horrendously on 2 of my exams, but did very well (luckily) on the last one using a different method which somewhat balanced it out. I am confident I can do much better this semester, but I am worried it is too late in terms of getting a transfer-worthy GPA. I am obviously going to work very hard and hopefully turn this ship around, but is anything in the t-14 still in play?

Help?

pancakes3

Re: Bad GPA Realistic Ability to Transfer after spring semester

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:28 am

Chances are slim but still there if you're at a T20. I think Sublime anecdotally cited WUSTL medians transferring into Michigan.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:but is anything in the t-14 still in play?

Keep in mind that, from a T20, there are a lot of T14 schools where a transfer won't even be worth it.

As far as whether you can improve, you definitely can. While 0.1 near the median is a long way in terms of the curve (could be about 15% of the class, depending on the breadth of the curve), it's still only 0.1 grade points. It would still only take being 0.1 above the median second semester to move up to median.

What does 0.1 above the median look like? On a B median with 15 hours, 2 B+s and 3 Bs would be 0.13 above the median.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 am

What are your reasons for transfering?

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:39 pm

WUSTL medians did transfer to M (georgetown and NU were also in play at that range), but none of them fared well in the interview process. If you can't radically change your position in the rankings, employers will wonder why you made the move at all. And if you're top third / top 25%, they will see that you weren't such a standout even at your lower ranked school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:27 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:What are your reasons for transfering?

I am mainly unhappy with my geographic location. I would like to be in either a bigger city or a bigger school population wise (not just law school).

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 pm

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm

I don't think the WUSTL median -> mich transfers did poorly solely because of their previous GPA. Could be, but I also heard that mich transfers generally didn't so well, even those with good ranks from previous schools. So, take that as you may, but id caution against transferring to mich in general

Return to “Transfers”