Rank v. Percentile Resume Q

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rank v. Percentile Resume Q

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm

This is specific to transfer application resume but a valid question for general resumes as well.

School ranks the top 10 people of the class and provides GPA cutoffs for everything else.

On your resume would you put 7/250 or would you put top 5%? (the lowest(highest?) GPA cutoff that is published).

toothbrush

Re: Rank v. Percentile Resume Q

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is specific to transfer application resume but a valid question for general resumes as well.

School ranks the top 10 people of the class and provides GPA cutoffs for everything else.

On your resume would you put 7/250 or would you put top 5%? (the lowest(highest?) GPA cutoff that is published).

I'd put your actual rank (7/250) since they explicitly rank you. However, I think the more important thing to do is to make sure that your current school includes a copy of the ranking memo that says you are x/250 or whatever when you request your transcript to be sent.

rogerrogerson

Re: Rank v. Percentile Resume Q

Postby rogerrogerson » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 pm

I put all information available: rank, percent, and gpa on my transfer resume.
I would also put the actual percent, and not limit yourself to increments of 5.

3.xx 7/250 (Top 3%)

Return to “Transfers”