Top 5% at school just outside T14

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 5% at school just outside T14

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:43 pm

No official rankings are given, but GPA puts me at approximately the top 5% range.

I am not very seriously considering transferring but for curiosity sake I wondered what my odds would be at HYS?

Is it even worth devoting any thought to?

Nebby

Re: Top 5% at school just outside T14

Postby Nebby » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:04 pm

You'd get into HLS.

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:You'd get into HLS.

This. You're probably out at SLS and YLS. You have a chance at SLS, but probably not especially likely. You're probably out at YLS unless you get to #1 in the class next semester.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:

This. You're probably out at SLS and YLS. You have a chance at SLS, but probably not especially likely. You're probably out at YLS unless you get to #1 in the class next semester.

Disagree with this slightly. We had someone go to YLS, wasn't #1, but was most likely in the top 5.

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
Meow Meowsworth wrote:

Disagree with this slightly. We had someone go to YLS, wasn't #1, but was most likely in the top 5.

I assume you're at Vandy? I'm just basing it on the 2 people outside the T14 who were accepted to Yale last cycle. There might be a little more wiggle room than that. I know 2 people who were top 5% at a T20 who both got rejected by Yale this past cycle, but I would assume that softs likely played a role in YLS' transfer decisions.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
Meow Meowsworth wrote:

I assume you're at Vandy? I'm just basing it on the 2 people outside the T14 who were accepted to Yale last cycle. There might be a little more wiggle room than that. I know 2 people who were top 5% at a T20 who both got rejected by Yale this past cycle, but I would assume that softs likely played a role in YLS' transfer decisions.

Yeah. Softs likely played a role because he was already on a full scholarship here. And I meant top 5 people, not percent (although our class is only 172 so the distinction doesn't mean much).

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:40 am

Well, maybe you should shoot him an email and ask him some questions

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:37 pm

It may depend which schools "just outside t14" but yeah I would say you're a lock at HLS. I know we have at least one person here who turned down YLS, was #3 at a school just outside t14 (not Vandy). A few got into SLS too. I think softs play into the decisions of all of these schools more than people realize.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:52 pm

i was same rank at vandy, in at h, out at ys

Return to “Transfers”