UT to U Chicago

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I do it

Try for U Chicago (Graduate w/ ~130K in debt)
50%
Stay at UT (Graduate w/ ~60K in debt)
50%

Total votes: 2

Anonymous User

UT to U Chicago

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Did a bit better than ~ top 20%; won't graduate with much of any debt at UT. No ties to Texas nor much desire to be here after school, however.

I want to be in lit in the midwest long term. However, all of the markets I'm interested in are generally pretty tough to break into (e.g. Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee). I'm curious if a move to the midwest now would be worth the debt over the long run (factoring in having a Chicago network instead of a Texas network, too).

Obviously Northwestern wouldn't make sense debt-wise: would U Chicago be a reasonable move, or would you advise me to hang tight and try to hustle from UT? Obviously early and I'd probably need to do a bit better next semester, but just kicking it around. Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNextAmendment

Re: UT to U Chicago

Postby TheNextAmendment » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Rank at UT after next semester:

Top 2%: stay
Top 5%: stay unless you get into YHS
Anything else: transfer to any of the T6 if you can

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Litigation in Chicago is tough to land even from UChicago, what kind of litigation? Do u have a preference for certain firms or something?

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I would absolutely transfer to U Chicago regardless of your rank at UT, especially if you want to break into Milw. or Chicago. Either one is relatively straightforward from UofC, and Milwaukee, if you have a decent narative for why you want to be there, will be even easier, assuming you are willing to take the lower market pay.

There are very few people from Texas schools who will make their way to top Chicago firms in litigation, but a middling U of C student can do that without much trouble.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:58 am

cusenation wrote:Litigation in Chicago is tough to land even from UChicago, what kind of litigation? Do u have a preference for certain firms or something?

At this point the city/general region is what's most important for my situation. I'd rather have like Minneapolis or Madison over Chicago, maybe Milwaukee too; not a big deal either way though, I'd be happy in any of them. I'm not sure what kind of lit in particular at this point, I'm just pretty sure it's what I'd prefer over transactional. I think I'd enjoy labor and employment work, I suppose.

So the early word is that, for someone who wants to be in the Midwest long-term, it's probably worth the extra debt? Looking at the math, I would graduate about 60 in debt at UT, and roughly 130-135 if I transferred to UChi.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 am

Your chances at Chicago big law aren't great with that class rank. 130K is a lot of money, but I'd probably lean toward pulling the trigger.

What do you think you would do if you stayed at UT and ended up striking out?

I'd also see if you can talk to some Chicago transfers to get a sense of how their OCI went.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:39 am

Lit Chicago is one of the worst sells right now. Sell corporate for SAs that let you rotate through practices and then just choose lit when you get offer (if the firm operates that way) .

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'd also see if you can talk to some Chicago transfers to get a sense of how their OCI went.

OP, I'm a Chicago transfer. Feel free to pm me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:Your chances at Chicago big law aren't great with that class rank. 130K is a lot of money, but I'd probably lean toward pulling the trigger.

What do you think you would do if you stayed at UT and ended up striking out?

Thanks for your input. I suppose I would hustle for small firm/local government in the above mentioned regions and Austin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Bumping to see if anyone else has more general advice.

I've since spoken with a handful of attorneys in a few cities mentioned above, including a UT grad, and they all said to do it and that it'd be worth the debt over the long run. Still, I'm pretty conflicted, and I would have to apply ED b/c of personal circumstances, so I've got to figure this out pretty soon.

Appreciate any more perspectives -- thanks.

dkb17xzx

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:00 pm

was in the exact same position last year - decided not to transfer. PM me

reasonable person

Postby reasonable person » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:56 am

I wouldn't transfer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:54 pm

reasonable person wrote:I wouldn't transfer.

Any particular reasons why not?

Return to “Transfers”