A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:27 am

Currently at one of these schools, have gotten all grades back and based on the past few years of class rankings will be inside the top 5% when we finally start the spring semester. Generally happy where I am but I really, really, really don't want to be region locked which will certainly happen where I am. Want to stay in TX. Paying sticker currently so cost is what it is (TX resident for what its worth).

Assuming my grades stay generally consistent (I have no idea how grades from one semester generally transfer to the next) 1) what are the odds of UT 2) If I want to stay in TX is it even worth applying to schools ranked above UT assuming my grades make me competitive at any T14s? [I have no problem leaving TX to attend another school, just would like to end up back in TX eventually] and 3) are the opportunities that would be generated by moving up to UT worth giving up a decent shot of big law where I am at?

4) I am just starting to think through all this so nothing is set in stone so please feel free to tell me honestly if its a great idea, horrible idea, etc. Not going to hurt my feelings.

Thanks everyone. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Re: SMU/UH to UT?

Postby Nebby » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:40 am

Your chances at UT are good if you are top 5%. When it comes to the other question, you'll have to research BigLaw placement in TX via LST.

Postby BVest » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:01 am

PM me.

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:07 am

So you go to UH but want a job in Dallas or something?

Have you tried negotiating for a scholarship with your current school yet?

S. Goodman

Postby S. Goodman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:24 am

I transferred from a T2 at top 25% this year. I got into UT but decided to go to another school instead. UT accepted me shortly after interviewing me via Skype. UT was the highest ranked school I got in to, I decided on a T25 instead for a lower tuition. I am not a Texas resident, and I have a military background to give some more perspective. In short I think you probably have a really good chance of transferring to UT with those grades, considering where I was and where you are.

Postby mandimeoutof10 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm

I transferred to UT from a TTT TX school last semester w/ top 5% grades. You should be almost a sure thing up to top 10% (and still have very good shot at 15ish%) from SMU/UH. I will say that IME, SMU WILL negotiate $$$ with you but UH is VERY stingy and last term wouldn't give more than $3k to a guy whose grades allowed him to be accepted into NYU. UH really doesn't care if they keep or lose you. Also, as I'm sure you know, UT will give you a much better shot at TX biglaw. However, if your current school will give you half tuition or more, then strongly consider staying. However, if there isn't a strong financial incentive to stay, jump to UT. As far as breaking into the T14, you would likely get into Georgetown and MAYBE one or two more but again, IMO, if you want TX, stay in TX and go with the obvious choice of UT.

Unless they wow you with a great offer, transfer and don't look back.

Return to “Transfers”