Transfer Scholarships

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transfer Scholarships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 pm

I did a search on TLS and not much came up. Although I have heard they do exist. With two cali awards already being confirmed via email by my professors, I am starting to think transferring up (Tier 3, here) might be a possibility.

Does anyone know of top50 schools that offer merit based transfer schollys?

Thanks a lot guys.

arklaw13

Re: Transfer Scholarships

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:59 pm

I know of none that have ever existed. Schools give money to keep people from transferring sometimes, but not all the time.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:10 pm

Alright, thanks

-OP

Sheriff

Postby Sheriff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:17 pm

sublime wrote:I heard that WUSTL will give partial scholarships to transfers. Don't know for sure though.

Define partial. Half? $5k?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Meow Meowsworth

Postby Meow Meowsworth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 pm

There is a thread called "Transfer Financial Aid" a few threads down that is basically this exact same topic :P.

Anyway, to save you the time of looking at that, Georgetown, WUSTL, and Arizona all gave transfers scholarships last cycle. I think the consensus is that you won't get more than half tuition in scholarships, even at the schools that do give them to transfer students, but at least there are some schools that are beginning to award transfers scholarship money.

Sheriff

Postby Sheriff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Meow Meowsworth wrote:There is a thread called "Transfer Financial Aid" a few threads down that is basically this exact same topic :P.

Anyway, to save you the time of looking at that, Georgetown, WUSTL, and Arizona all gave transfers scholarships last cycle. I think the consensus is that you won't get more than half tuition in scholarships, even at the schools that do give them to transfer students, but at least there are some schools that are beginning to award transfers scholarship money.

That's a game-changer for a lot of students, especially for those of us who are torn between transferring up or keeping our full rides. Glad to hear this.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 pm

I don't get why more schools don't throw a bit of cash to transfers. Even at half tuition, they are making an easy $50k off of each transfer with little added additional expense. Their cost of acquiring students is almost entirely limited to 1Ls.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:31 pm

arklaw13 wrote:I don't get why more schools don't throw a bit of cash to transfers. Even at half tuition, they are making an easy $50k off of each transfer with little added additional expense. Their cost of acquiring students is almost entirely limited to 1Ls.

Because they have no reason to offer money. Transfers will accept regardless of money--they already decided that fact before applying.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:12 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:I don't get why more schools don't throw a bit of cash to transfers. Even at half tuition, they are making an easy $50k off of each transfer with little added additional expense. Their cost of acquiring students is almost entirely limited to 1Ls.

Because they have no reason to offer money. Transfers will accept regardless of money--they already decided that fact before applying.

But even 10k could induce people to pick one school over another within the same tier.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 am

arklaw13 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:

But even 10k could induce people to pick one school over another within the same tier.

But someone else will fill that slot, so there's no incentive to them to do that. The only thing you have to offer them is your employability -- any numbers you could present are useless to them now (since they don't help with rankings). As far as your employability is concerned, they figure whoever they end up enrolling at their school will be employable

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:51 am

Meow Meowsworth wrote:There is a thread called "Transfer Financial Aid" a few threads down that is basically this exact same topic :P.

I heard GW did too but I don't personally know if this is true so someone fact check me on that. I heard Yale gives some of their transfers non-scholly money.. not loans though, but I forget the details. Someone fact check me on that one too.

GULC - half tuition scholly for at least 1 occasion, I think, last year

These are pretty huge changes from a couple of years ago, where it was pretty set that none of the transfers ever got money. So things might change even more with more schools giving out more transfer schollys but that's just drunken speculation

Return to “Transfers”