Undergrad GPA for Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CardinalAmbition

Undergrad GPA for Transfers

Postby CardinalAmbition » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:04 am

Forgive me if this has been asked before, But how much does Undergrad GPA matter in law school transfer decisions? Follow up question if they do, Does a strong upward trend make up for a bad 1st semester in college?
Last edited by CardinalAmbition on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Calvin Murphy

Re: Undergrad GPA for Transfers

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:08 am

uGPA and LSAT are typically unimportant for transfers. There is a small caveat if you are transferring into a school outside of the T-14. The reason that they typically don't matter is that they don't have to be reported, and therefore don't factor into rankings (or show up on 509 reports n' stuff)...however...they might be looked at if particularly low, as schools want to make sure their transfers in are capable of passing the bar.

As for upward trend...anytime uGPA is relevant, trend is probably a good thing. That being said, it is quite unlikely that uGPA will be considered.

CardinalAmbition

Postby CardinalAmbition » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:17 am

Thank You for the quick reply! What if we are looking at a T14 school? My dream school is Stanford.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:24 am

Calvin Murphy

Postby Calvin Murphy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:28 am

sublime wrote:
CardinalAmbition wrote:Thank You for the quick reply! What if we are looking at a T14 school? My dream school is Stanford.

You probably aren't going to transfer to Stanford.

If anything, Harvard is more likely.

Agreed. In any case, you're getting a little bit ahead of yourself.

At any T14 school outside of YS, your uGPA probably won't matter at all. At Y, and S to some extent, conventional wisdom is that your application is viewed as if you're a first time applicant...so your uGPA may play a larger role.

But before you begin worrying about what schools care about what, focus on grades. I assume that you're a 1L, but this also applies if you're a 0L...schools are going to care most about 1) Your 1L institution, and 2) Your grades at that institution. If you're a 1L, then your 1L school is already determined...the only thing you have control over is your grades.

I think it was Arrow who set up a guide to transferring. Consider looking it up if transferring really interests you. While it's much more of a black box than regular admissions, the author of that article gave some cutoffs for grades needed to transfer into certain schools, as well as a rough guide as to how many transfers each school in the T14 accepts each year.

CardinalAmbition

Postby CardinalAmbition » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:50 am

Thank You very much yet again. What makes you say Harvard and not Stanford?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:51 am

postard

Postby postard » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:42 pm

I know of one transfer to S, but it was from Berkeley.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:55 pm

The only thing that matters is your 1L grades. No one cares about your undergraduate grades. Nor do they care about anything else in undergrad, unless it wound you up in jail.

bnghle234

Postby bnghle234 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:24 pm

CardinalAmbition wrote:Thank You very much yet again. What makes you say Harvard and not Stanford?

I had a professor who at one time was working in admissions at Stanford. He told me that year they only accepted about 10 students as transfers. What this means is that if all the #1 students around the country applied, Stanford rejected most of THOSE students. That's why Stanford is beyond a long shot.

Return to “Transfers”