Retake LSAT 2L?? Need Help Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sju2009

New

Retake LSAT 2L?? Need Help

Post by sju2009 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:31 am

Can I retake the LSAT this December, drop out before my 2L spring semester, and re-apply by April 2015? .

If I can't transfer, should I re-take the lsat and use it as a bargaining chip with my current school to keep my scholarship.

I am a part time 2L in a low tier school, but on a full scholarship. I don't like this school. So, I took a few practice LSATs and I am scoring 15 pts higher--mid to high 170's. With practice, I can bring this up to a near perfect score. (A bad marriage was a bit to blame for my 15 pt loss). I want to transfer out but I'm too far in. Any opinions as to what to do?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Re: Retake LSAT 2L?? Need Help

Post by MarkfromWI » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 am

Your post makes no sense. Are you going to lose your scholarship because of bad grades? If that's what is happening, how would retaking the LSAT be a bargaining chip? Even if that's not what's happening, as a 2L, how is retaking the LSAT going to be a bargaining chip? Are you saying you're going to drop out before the spring and re-apply as a 1L again?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:21 am

Drop out and pursue a non shit-tier life. You won't find many lawyers on this site, or anywhere, that would do law school again.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:41 am

LSAT is a predictor for your 1L year, which you have already passed. Your grades right now are what matter in any transfer.

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:22 pm

sju2009,

I am a 2L part time student as well...Retaking the LSAT does absolutely nothing for you...The only thing that matters as a transfer student are your 1L grades (bottom line, end of sentence, period)...If you don't like your current school, you should have transferred such that you began your 2L year elsewhere (don’t mean to be Monday morning quarterback, but it’s true)...Due to residency requirements, unless you withdraw before the end of this semester, I don't think you will be able to transfer at all (others may know better than me)...

Regarding transferring, I know a bit about it as I transferred from a lower tiered school (US News ranking 140-145) to a T14...Since you are on a full scholarship, if you withdraw before the end of this semester, there is no tuition wasted...On the same hand walking away from a free ride isn't easy either...My 1L year I paid full sticker price, and after finishing the year near the top of my class, I could have stayed there and finished law school for free...None the less, I opted to transfer and pay sticker at the T14...An important note about transferring is that VERY few schools offer transfer students any scholarship money (I know Seton Hall does)...

Unlike the position you are in, I really liked my 1L school and transferring just came down to a business decision for me - transferring for me was the right business decision...Without knowing your whole fact pattern it is difficult to offer any suggestions...I don't know if you were offered a full ride when you initially applied to law school, or if you received it based on your 1L performance...A solid 1L performance will ensure you'll be admitted as a transfer at a better school, but you'll have to explain your withdrawal and desire to transfer (which you can easily do - bad marriage, need a change, etc)...Note, if you consider the transfer route, do not bash your prior school in any essay/personal statement/discussion with admissions staff - sing its praises, but explain that you need a change...

Staying at your current school may not be a bad thing…Since you are on a full scholarship, I would guess you are in the top part of your class…All schools take care of their top students in all regards (class scheduling/interviews/social networking functions/access to top alums/law review or journals)

Other things to consider
- You will need at least one, if not two, letters of recommendation from profs at your current school
- You need to withdraw in good standing (your current school will likely need to provide a letter of good standing)
- A few schools allow spring semester transfers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:29 pm

It's not uncommon for your LSAT to improve a lot after some law school. Your reading comprehension and speed gets much, much better. The LSAT has no value after first yr, though. But maybe drop out and start over if you can?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Isn't there some ABA rule that prohibits you from retaking the LSAT and restarting as a 1L at this point (unless you wait X years before reapplying)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”