transferring to GULC but missed the EIW deadline, worth it? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
runinthefront

Gold

Re: transferring to GULC but missed the EIW deadline, worth it?

Post by runinthefront » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 am

runinthefront wrote:OP said he missed LR at his old school.

In addition, I particularly singled out Emory and WUSTL because I'm assuming that's where OP is coming from. Texas, Vanderbilt and UCLA could still get you a V20 offer without LR if you're among the top 20% (which I feel OP was probably within, if not better, in order to transfer). I think everyone knows this which is why I don't think OP was attending any of those schools..or else OP would've stayed (pure conjecture)
You're right, he said that in the second sentence, my B. So you think that the GULC name on his resume, before ever taking classes there, is what got him that V20 offer from a mass mailing? I'm not sure that's how that works.

In regards to the "Top 20% at UT/UCLA/Vandy gets you a V20" thing, I'm not sure that's how legal hiring works either.

Agree that he wasn't at any of those schools though.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:37 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

runinthefront wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
runinthefront wrote:OP said he missed LR at his old school.

In addition, I particularly singled out Emory and WUSTL because I'm assuming that's where OP is coming from. Texas, Vanderbilt and UCLA could still get you a V20 offer without LR if you're among the top 20% (which I feel OP was probably within, if not better, in order to transfer). I think everyone knows this which is why I don't think OP was attending any of those schools..or else OP would've stayed (pure conjecture)
You're right, he said that in the second sentence, my B. So you think that the GULC name on his resume, before ever taking classes there, is what got him that V20 offer from a mass mailing? I'm not sure that's how that works.

In regards to the "Top 20% at UT/UCLA/Vandy gets you a V20" thing, I'm not sure that's how legal hiring works either.

Agree that he wasn't at any of those schools though.

you completely threw out the word "could" in my other post..."could" as in "it's possible"...not "top 20% at Vandy will definitely get you a plethora of V20 CBs!!"

c'mon, that's not fair
BigZuck wrote:
I know a number of people at UT outside of the top 10% and without law review who got offers at V5s and V10s. Different school but I think it could be possible.
What are we disagreeing about?

Also, I can't say I'm 100% sure how legal hiring works, either. However, I do think that the GULC name helped OP out in converting the screener/call back into an offer...even if it was a marginal bump, yes.
Yeah, I know you said could.

I think I disagreed with two things. V20 and top 20% are both rather arbitrary and weird distinctions, I'm not sure what you're basing that on. So if you're top 23% at UCLA does that mean you can't get a V20? If you're top 20% and you're gunning for a V17 does that mean you're screwed? Your statement conveyed a rather detailed knowledge of hard cut offs at 3 pretty disparate schools, where did you get that from? Was that based on your experience going through OCI?

The main thing I disagreed with was that simply transferring up to GULC gave that individual a bump. That just runs counter to what I have read on this site about transfers. Typically, I always got the sense that one of the good things about transferring up is you get access to that school's more robust OCI and/or firms you couldn't get screeners with otherwise. But that doesn't apply to the OP, this was a mass mail and they missed out on OCI. Also, I was under the impression that transfers were generally judged by their 1L performance, which was at another school. I guess maybe though I'm kind of agnostic on this point as I don't know enough about being a transfer, I was just surprised to hear that people think simply having that GULC name on a resume meant something in this case.

It would be nice if the OP would come back and explain precisely how transferring got them the V20 offer, that would help a lot of people contemplating transferring in the future and help fill what seems to be a gap in the Hivemind's knowledge about what is kind of a black box process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Also, for those who missed it, the OP wrote a post saying that they knew that transferring got them the offer and they would not have got it otherwise. They even had a special snowflake meme of a cute kitten that had broken its leg. But then for some reason they deleted the post.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a advanced technical background and am very much want to work for a big law in DC/NY?CA
--------------------
This is important to note. With a tech background, its not uncommon for Median Kids at GW (my frame of reference) to get relatively selective firms.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:35 am

[/quote]

It would be nice if the OP would come back and explain precisely how transferring got them the V20 offer, that would help a lot of people contemplating transferring in the future and help fill what seems to be a gap in the Hivemind's knowledge about what is kind of a black box process.[/quote]

OP here. I don't feel like giving away too much personal informations but I am glad to clarify some confusion here.
First,I could not get this offer if I did not transfer, for sure. Believe or not, a school's name or location does carry a long way, at least in my case.
Second, I have to admit I was pretty lucky at this whole process, so I can't just encourage people to do the same in a similar situation.
Third, I got this offer a couple of days ago. But even before I got it (at that time I really thought I would not get anything ),I never regretted to give up a full ride and transfer here. I was planning to networking+get good 2L grade reapply at 3L+probably get a joint degree redo OCI.... whatever it take to land a big law job and I think it is pretty doable. There are definitely more opportunities in GULC and in DC, but you got to work your ass off to seize them.
Life opens up when you get out of comfortable zone. Good Luck!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 am

How, specifically, do you know you could not have got this job without transferring? You didn't utilize OCI to get it, so how do you know that the simple fact that you transferred was enough to get you the job? The firm told you that? They said something like "Ah jeez, we wouldn't want to put your bio up on our website if it said Emory. Thank God you transferred to Georgetown. You're hired!"?

Your anon dude, help the hivemind out. I'm inclined to think people shouldn't transfer and tack on a bunch of debt if they want big law but can't participate in OCI at their new school. If I'm wrong about that, then convince me otherwise. I don't want to give out bad advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:15 pm

runinthefront wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How, specifically, do you know you could not have got this job without transferring? You didn't utilize OCI to get it, so how do you know that the simple fact that you transferred was enough to get you the job? The firm told you that? They said something like "Ah jeez, we wouldn't want to put your bio up on our website if it said Emory. Thank God you transferred to Georgetown. You're hired!"?

Your anon dude, help the hivemind out. I'm inclined to think people shouldn't transfer and tack on a bunch of debt if they want big law but can't participate in OCI at their new school. If I'm wrong about that, then convince me otherwise. I don't want to give out bad advice.
:roll:

OP says she thinks the weight of the school name helped OP out in her unique situation

OP also thinks she was really lucky, and OP can't encourage people to do the same in good faith

No one's advocating that transferring and incurring a bunch of debt just for a name is TCR

It just worked out for OP

Relax

I can't believe you don't believe that there are any employers out there who care about more about the name of the school in which their employee got their degree than how high said employee was in their class

I'd reckon there are some, but not many, employers who feel that way

:roll:
I don't really

But if that's just me echoing on back to the Hivemind's chamber, I would love to be corrected because I sincerely don't want to give people bad advice

Right now though all we've got is that the OP (and you?) think they got the offer because they think the GULC name gave them a bump that would have been insurmountable to overcome otherwise. 100K is a hell of a lot of money to pay for an "I think." I really would hate for someone with a WUSTL fully and a good class rank to transfer to, say, Cornell even though they can't participate in OCI just because of DAT PRESTIGE. But I would also hate to give bad advice so maybe that person should be urged to attend Cornell if there is a worthwhile bump to be had. That's why I would like the OP to set the record straight, they are bucking the Hivemind and seem to know something it doesn't (as evidenced by the advice ITT). So please, OP, come back and echo into our chambers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”