SMU or UT Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SMU or UT

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:16 pm

I can't seem to make up my mind and could really use some help. I'm in the 20-25% range at SMU and have been accepted at UT Law. I'm set to be on a moot court team at SMU, but will not be on a journal. I'm receiving ~50% scholarship at SMU and UT would cost ~$9k more per year. I plan to work in TX (Dallas or Houston) and have aspirations for big law, although I would be happy with a more regional large firm.

I was accepted at UT a couple days past the bidding deadline, which would require me to mass mail the attending firms and pray for an interview if I decided to make the leap. The final consideration is a significant other of ~3 years who will be starting work in Dallas. We have done long distance before and she's okay with doing it again.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: SMU or UT

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm

This is pretty close IMO, but the combo of cost + no OCI + long term SO swings this just enough to where I'd stay at SMU.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:35 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:This is pretty close IMO, but the combo of cost + no OCI + long term SO swings this just enough to where I'd stay at SMU.
Agree. If they are just going to treat you like a top 25%er at SMU and you can't even participate in OCI to get face time with firms you wouldn't get otherwise, I'm not seeing the upside in transferring.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:48 pm

I feel like you should have a good shot if you are already in the top quarter at SMU at landing a job in texas plus its slightly cheaper

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm

OP here. Thank you for the replies. Everyone close to me has sided with making the move to UT so it's great to have a different perspective.

The OCI thing hurts, but my thoughts on the upside of transferring even in light of this were how my prospects would be better if I were to strike out at OCI and be working towards a UT degree in my 2L and 3L years versus an SMU one. I know being in the top 25% at SMU is no guarantee at OCI so I want to be thinking about the future if things didn't go as planned in August. Maybe that's not the best thing to focus on in making this decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Man, after looking at the OCI performance of UT's last transfer class, I'd take the $ and stick it out at SMU. Tough call though.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you for the replies. Everyone close to me has sided with making the move to UT so it's great to have a different perspective.

The OCI thing hurts, but my thoughts on the upside of transferring even in light of this were how my prospects would be better if I were to strike out at OCI and be working towards a UT degree in my 2L and 3L years versus an SMU one. I know being in the top 25% at SMU is no guarantee at OCI so I want to be thinking about the future if things didn't go as planned in August. Maybe that's not the best thing to focus on in making this decision.
I just don't think your prospects assuming striking out at OCI are better enough at UT to go $30k+ more into debt and completely forgo a chance at SMU's OCI. I just don't think employers in Texas would view you that much differently just because you'll have a UT degree instead of an SMU degree.

I feel like a large part of why UT students get a boost is simply because they are competing with other UT students for grades, and you won't benefit from that until at least 3L year, at which point getting a job is such an uphill battle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote: I just don't think your prospects assuming striking out at OCI are better enough at UT to go $30k+ more into debt and completely forgo a chance at SMU's OCI. I just don't think employers in Texas would view you that much differently just because you'll have a UT degree instead of an SMU degree.

I feel like a large part of why UT students get a boost is simply because they are competing with other UT students for grades, and you won't benefit from that until at least 3L year, at which point getting a job is such an uphill battle.
I would take on roughly $18k more over the course of the two remaining years, but you make some great points. To be honest I was leaning UT before I posted this topic but all of you have made solid observations and I obviously need to think about this from a different angle. Thanks again.

4lg2lb

New

Post by 4lg2lb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:51 pm

I’d transfer to UT.

If you’re just in the top 25% at SMU and didn’t write on to Law Review you’re not going to have much luck at OCI (unless you have some special distinguishing feature like a CPA or hard science UG). At this point I think you have to focus on what school offers you the best job perspectives outside OCI. It’s definitely a close call with your current scholarship but I’d pay the extra money for the UT degree and try and join a clinic 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm

You guys really think that transferring to UT will give him more opportunities at big law? Even when he can't participate in OCI at UT and he can at SMU? How so? Honest questions.

I guess if and when he struck out and had to start hustling it would be better to be a UT grad than a SMU grad. But 20K better?

All this ignores the SO factor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:19 pm

4lg2lb wrote:I’d transfer to UT.

If you’re just in the top 25% at SMU and didn’t write on to Law Review you’re not going to have much luck at OCI (unless you have some special distinguishing feature like a CPA or hard science UG). At this point I think you have to focus on what school offers you the best job perspectives outside OCI. It’s definitely a close call with your current scholarship but I’d pay the extra money for the UT degree and try and join a clinic 3L.

I have heard of students in the class before me in a similar position at SMU coming away with SAs from first-round OCIs and overall was under the impression I would at least be "competitive" for a number of the firms. However, I did want to have foresight in making the decision in case that didn't happen so I understand your point. I've also considered clerking for a year and I imagine UT would give me better prospects of accomplishing this.
BigZuck wrote:You guys really think that transferring to UT will give him more opportunities at big law? Even when he can't participate in OCI at UT and he can at SMU? How so? Honest questions.

I guess if and when he struck out and had to start hustling it would be better to be a UT grad than a SMU grad. But 20K better?

All this ignores the SO factor.

Exactly the questions I'm struggling with and why I made this thread. I wish this was more clear-cut. If it makes a difference I have savings to cover living expenses through LS but essentially finance all tuition/school costs with debt.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:59 pm

SMU.

PM me if you want, but I actually think this one is more clear than others I've seen.

Now put the decision behind you and get to work on your cover letters for bids plus mass-mail to local firms who are not participating in this round of OCI. Especially focus on the 20-70 lawyer firms up there (SettlePou, Cantey Hanger, etc.).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I have a similar situation as the OP: SMU top 15-20%ish, main law review, 2/3 scholly at SMU, big law intern in summer, and I have to decide whether to transfer to UT for in-state sticker price ...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:53 pm

ilybb wrote:I have a similar situation as the OP: SMU top 15-20%ish, main law review, 2/3 scholly at SMU, big law intern in summer, and I have to decide whether to transfer to UT for in-state sticker price ...
OP again. I guess we're classmates. Anyways, for what it's worth if I was in your position (assuming you want to work in TX) I would stay at SMU with confidence.

FuturePanhandler

Silver

Post by FuturePanhandler » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The final consideration is a significant other of ~3 years who will be starting work in Dallas. We have done long distance before and she's okay with doing it again.
She's cheating on you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”