Missed UT OCI bidding deadline - still worth it to transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missed UT OCI bidding deadline - still worth it to transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Stay top 10% at current T1 School with similar cost of attendance or transfer?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Re: Missed UT OCI bidding deadline - still worth it to transfer?

Post by StylinNProfilin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:25 pm

sorry to hear that. Depends on your career goals/what the t1 is. If I'm at SMU/UH I'd stay if I'm interested in big law at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:29 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:sorry to hear that. Depends on your career goals/what the t1 is. If I'm at SMU/UH I'd stay if I'm interested in big law at all.
Interested in biglaw in TX (native texan) but current school located in Cali, would mass mailing have a same/similar effect?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Mass-Mailing is a crapshoot, but seems like having Texas ties plus great grades should be able to land you atleast a few interviews. It seems like having UT on your resume as a transfer might also help with mass mailing. If the COA are the same and your end goal is to end up in Texas might be worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:45 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Mass-Mailing is a crapshoot, but seems like having Texas ties plus great grades should be able to land you atleast a few interviews. It seems like having UT on your resume as a transfer might also help with mass mailing. If the COA are the same and your end goal is to end up in Texas might be worth it.
thanks I'll try calling the admissions office / cso and see what help they can offer me to alleviate my only concern with transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 pm

You can also mass mail the firms that are participating in OCI, indicate that you're at transfer who missed the bid deadline as a result of being a transfer, and that you'll be available for interviews during OCI. A number of last year's transfers got a lot of interviews with Dallas/Houston offices that way.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm

First off, congrats on the stellar grades and the position that you're in. I'm a fellow 1L transfer to UT this year. My opinion is that there is a lot more information that we would need to help you with this decision (money, ties to a city, job expectation, desire for prestige). The money and the where you want to work are probably the biggest considerations. If you want TX and the difference in the COA is less than ~30k then maybe transferring is still the better bet. Albeit, this is not a "TITCR" type of question. I wish you the best though, in whatever you decide.

TL;DR = maybe... :|

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:14 pm

I don't know if I would transfer here. I did this last year and got a few firms to interview me but not many. I was at a TTT (although I was ranked really high in the class) so maybe that had something to do with it.

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Your decision needs to be made quickly. There will be others in the same spot trying to land interviews. If you decide by Monday I think your chances are better. It's still risky. If be willing to bet that most of the transfers last year that were able to get interviews after bidding were from UH or SMU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:18 pm

timmyd wrote:Your decision needs to be made quickly. There will be others in the same spot trying to land interviews. If you decide by Monday I think your chances are better. It's still risky. If be willing to bet that most of the transfers last year that were able to get interviews after bidding were from UH or SMU.
Those I know from UH and SMU were in before bidding closed.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Losing OCI really hurt when I transferred.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still stuck in deciding, but I do plan to make my decision on Monday and get my mass mailing things prepared.

I want to work in TX, from TX, and money is about equal either way since I'd be paying in state tuition. I do value prestige somewhat highly too, since it seems like the legal profession does as well. I want to do BigLaw if possible, but tbh I'd be fine with a firm that wouldn't lead me to a dead end (might be harder to move up if I ever wanted to to a biglaw position compared to moving down from biglaw). I have interest in practicing energy/oil and gas law too.

I'm just concerned that although I may have done well at my current school, IDK how employers will view that current school since its an out of state school, although still T1. I was planning to mass mail TX firms regardless of transfer though, so I do have things prepared for some firms already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 pm

BVest wrote:
timmyd wrote:Your decision needs to be made quickly. There will be others in the same spot trying to land interviews. If you decide by Monday I think your chances are better. It's still risky. If be willing to bet that most of the transfers last year that were able to get interviews after bidding were from UH or SMU.
Those I know from UH and SMU were in before bidding closed.
Yeah it was mainly my fault since I was still on the fence on whether I would transfer or not and by the time I was resolved to do so I realized I had missed out on OCI bidding and that put made me second guess my decision. Although to be fair, I found out I was accepted only one or two days before the deadline (still my fault though for not reading too closely at the deadline date, was too excited).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 pm

Just an update: Decided to transfer. Just got OCI awards back despite missing the deadline, but was only able to send a resume and transcript, no cover letters.

60 bids used, 7 screeners. Only 2 were pre-select, rest were lottery.

I can probably attribute the lack of screeners to primarily 1) missing the deadline and not being able to send cover letters expressing interest in energy/oil and gas practice since my resume doesn't seem to lean that way at all, 2) coming from an out of state school so they don't consider it as highly as a TX law school or know where it stands, and perhaps 3) order of bids.

Old school: LR, one highest grade award, Top 10% at an out of state T1.

It's a little disheartening when I look at old threads and see people at or below median getting more screeners than me (not knocking their ability at all, since they got into UT in the first place), but I lotteried into the Big 3 firms so I'm just going to keep my head up and try my hardest to land those, but still a bit worried that I may just get auto-dinged since idk if I meet their gpa cutoffs or not.

I would say that Texas firms aren't too transfer friendly, esp. since this is only the second year that UT has decided to start taking big transfer classes, but it could just be my unique situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”