Penn v. UCLA Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where should I transfer?

Penn
89%
UCLA
11%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Penn v. UCLA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:34 am

I 100% want to practice in Los Angeles.

No ties other than spending 1L year near LA. (Is that a tie?)

Want big law.

NY big law comes in at a distant second to LA BL...followed by LA mid, small

As of now I'm going to Penn, but want to make sure I can get back to LA if I make a good effort.

Thanks!!

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Re: Penn v. UCLA

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:36 am

Penn... definitely not a regrettable decision

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 am

If you vote, please leave some sort of explanation. Thank you!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:02 am

how does the line-up for Penn's LA day look? Can you ask them to send you the list of firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:08 am

cusenation wrote:how does the line-up for Penn's LA day look? Can you ask them to send you the list of firms?
Good suggestion. I'm not sure, but will certainly be asking when I visit Penn this weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 am

If you're paying sticker at each, as I assume, this is barely even a question. Penn. Hurry and get your interviews set up though, because the remaining regional slots/waitlists are about to close IIRC.

MagicMike80

New

Post by MagicMike80 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:48 am

I was on the phone with Penn about the Cali issue yesterday (I'm currently picking between them and Berkeley) - and the career office basically told me to choose Berkeley. Obviously not the same as UCLA, but both Cali schools are bound to have more contacts with LA employers than Penn.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:13 pm

MagicMike80 wrote:I was on the phone with Penn about the Cali issue yesterday (I'm currently picking between them and Berkeley) - and the career office basically told me to choose Berkeley. Obviously not the same as UCLA, but both Cali schools are bound to have more contacts with LA employers than Penn.
The difference in employment outcomes between Boalt and UCLA are so astronomical as not to be worth comparing. Obviously Boalt > Penn for Cali placement purposes. The same does not apply to UCLA.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 pm

A bit of anecdotal information which may be analogous though not directly on point because I was applying in the Bay Area. Disclosure: I have a tech degree, a good bit of relevant work experience, and applied in CA during 3L year.

I transferred to Penn a few years ago. I had no ties to CA. I was planning on practicing on the east coast and had an offer, but decided to apply to firms in the Bay Area at the start of 3L year. I ended up getting a good bit of interest from several reputable biglaw firms in SF and SV.

My assessment is that it is certainly possible to get back to CA from Penn, but you need to consider the likelihood by weighing the number and strength of factors which will help your application against those that would be unfavorable to your application. Here are generally relevant ones, listed according to my perception of importance (you can count on others to have several of these): patent (if applicable), relevant w/e, recommendation from prof, grades, offer from other firm (for 3L OCI), personality, other academic credentials, ties, 1L work (type, prestige of job), absence of lots of geographic movement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”