UT Transfer Cycle Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Re: UT Transfer Cycle

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:
ilybb wrote:I did my interview yesterday morning, and I haven't heard back from them yet. Now, I feel nervous about it ....
stats? also, anecdotally i know around 10 ppl in lesser tx schools transferring to UT. Is this a new trend? Lots of ppl said that last year was a fluke but it seems UT may be continuing this trend of larger transfer classes in the future. It'll be interesting to see how it works out for the school's rank and the placement of the transfer students.
The incoming 1L class size dropped like 25% a few years ago and has held steady since then. It seems clear that the administration wants to maintain LSAT/GPA medians and tuition revenue at the same time, which necessitates accepting a very large transfer class. It's a pretty good business strategy, but I think it is pretty shitty given the current legal market. Anecdotally, the last class of transfers seems to have done very poorly at OCI/job search in general. Maybe UT was taken aback by their poor results because it was the first time they've ever taken a large transfer class and will do more to help them this year, but who knows really.
Ya, this concerns me a great deal. In this legal market I'd rather roll the dice at UT then stay at my current school but I have heard this from others as well. I wish there was more complete data and will be curious to see how it works out for this transfer class as well.
mimimimimi1234 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
mandimeoutof10 wrote:
ilybb wrote:I did my interview yesterday morning, and I haven't heard back from them yet. Now, I feel nervous about it ....
stats? also, anecdotally i know around 10 ppl in lesser tx schools transferring to UT. Is this a new trend? Lots of ppl said that last year was a fluke but it seems UT may be continuing this trend of larger transfer classes in the future. It'll be interesting to see how it works out for the school's rank and the placement of the transfer students.
The incoming 1L class size dropped like 25% a few years ago and has held steady since then. It seems clear that the administration wants to maintain LSAT/GPA medians and tuition revenue at the same time, which necessitates accepting a very large transfer class. It's a pretty good business strategy, but I think it is pretty shitty given the current legal market. Anecdotally, the last class of transfers seems to have done very poorly at OCI/job search in general. Maybe UT was taken aback by their poor results because it was the first time they've ever taken a large transfer class and will do more to help them this year, but who knows really.
I've heard about 50 transfers got into UT last year (ABA stats for previous years are usually from 4-15 students tops). I'm a transfer myself; I got in 1 day before OCI closed and I sent out about 15 apps but that's it. I'm more into public service/prosecution so I'm not too worried about that but tons of people will miss that deadline anyways.

Luckily for me I have a lot of other reasons to go to UT than just the fact that it's UT; I'm from Austin, family is here, friends are here, went to UT undergrad, all my network/life is here basically. It just so happens UT is my homecity's school and it has a highly ranked law school.

I guess even if you are transferring to UT purely for rank upgrade reasons, if your goal is to work in Texas I think that even after striking out at OCI you're probably better off than being at whatever non-Texas and lower ranked school you were at before. This is assuming you get busy doing what you need to do, get decent grades, etc.
Gotcha. Ya, I was lucky enough to get in all 60 apps but it was at the absolute last minute. We're talking 15 minutes before they were due. I will post in this forum my results at OCI though. That was a majorly deficient piece of information I had when I made my decision. I did hear that it was bad but decided it was still likely better than my TTT's OCI. Who knows though...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

As I've mentioned before, last year's transfer class (57) appeared to be UT's response to a 1L class that was smaller by about the same number. This year's 1L class was bigger by 20, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the transfer class decreased in size by 20.

As far as OCI goes for transfers, it was definitely a mixed bag. I wonder to what extent that will change as the OCI firms grow more used to the larger class.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:28 pm

I just received the acceptance email from UT this noon. Now I have to decide whether I want to go...

Obviously I have some reasons to go: I went to UT for grad school, worked in Austin for 2 years, have lots of friends and connections there.

But on the other side, I am not sure what I will gain by going to UT. I will probably have the same biglaw job because I interned with a biglaw in Dallas this summer. So, job prospect-wise, UT does not offer me much.

I am on the main law review at my current law school, and it has a decent reputation in the DFW area at least. More importantly, I have $60k of scholarship from my current school for the next two years, which means a lot for me since I do not want to take any loan. A sticker price at UT is not gonna help in this respect either.

Any thoughts?

timmyd

Bronze

Post by timmyd » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Above poster, are you at Texas Tech? Just curious, I don't recall many Texas Tech students in my class, which I found odd.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:53 pm

timmyd wrote:Above poster, are you at Texas Tech? Just curious, I don't recall many Texas Tech students in my class, which I found odd.
no, not Texas Tech.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 pm

ilybb wrote:
timmyd wrote:Above poster, are you at Texas Tech? Just curious, I don't recall many Texas Tech students in my class, which I found odd.
no, not Texas Tech.
SMU?

edit: i searched your posts - if I were you and was doing well at SMU w/ law review and you wanted to stay in Dallas, I'd stay. Honestly, what more is UT going to get you? The cost would almost be a wash if you still have $30k a year in scholly and the OCI at UT is a black box for transfers. That's my .02. Any school besides SMU and UH and I'd tell you to go but not SMU w/ scholly, law review, a biglaw summer gig, and a great rank.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:19 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:
ilybb wrote:
no, not Texas Tech.
SMU?

edit: i searched your posts - if I were you and was doing well at SMU w/ law review and you wanted to stay in Dallas, I'd stay. Honestly, what more is UT going to get you? The cost would almost be a wash if you still have $30k a year in scholly and the OCI at UT is a black box for transfers. That's my .02. Any school besides SMU and UH and I'd tell you to go but not SMU w/ scholly, law review, a biglaw summer gig, and a great rank.
Yes, I'm at SMU. mandimeoutof10, I think you are probably right. I do not see how much more UT can offer me than SMU at this point. Maybe there is some long term benefit in the future, like the alumni network, the name. If I want to switch jobs, or go in-house in the future, UT might help, but I cannot tell now.

mimimimimi1234

New

Post by mimimimimi1234 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I agree with staying at SMU with those numbers and your desire to stay in the Dallas area. Make sure that's what you really want to do, though. Take some time and think about what you want to do with your future. It really sucks having to make these decisions when we are basically totally ignorant of so much of what law school is and means and haven't had experience graduating and working and all that, but that's how it is. You have until August 1 to decide, right?

I will say that the write-on competition for transfers at UT is July 23-August 6 so if you want to participate in that and you do choose to go to UT you will want to get your acceptance in by the 23rd.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:42 pm

mimimimimi1234 wrote:I agree with staying at SMU with those numbers and your desire to stay in the Dallas area. Make sure that's what you really want to do, though. Take some time and think about what you want to do with your future. It really sucks having to make these decisions when we are basically totally ignorant of so much of what law school is and means and haven't had experience graduating and working and all that, but that's how it is. You have until August 1 to decide, right?

I will say that the write-on competition for transfers at UT is July 23-August 6 so if you want to participate in that and you do choose to go to UT you will want to get your acceptance in by the 23rd.
Yeah, I hate to make these kind of decisions .... right, I have to decide by August 1, and they told me no scholly for transfers. Thanks for reminding me about the write-on dates, mimimimimi1234! The next a few days will not be easy for me in making the decision, I guess...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am

ilybb wrote:Yeah, I hate to make these kind of decisions .... right, I have to decide by August 1, and they told me no scholly for transfers. Thanks for reminding me about the write-on dates, mimimimimi1234! The next a few days will not be easy for me in making the decision, I guess...
You make a decision yet?

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:02 pm

mandimeoutof10 wrote:
ilybb wrote:Yeah, I hate to make these kind of decisions .... right, I have to decide by August 1, and they told me no scholly for transfers. Thanks for reminding me about the write-on dates, mimimimimi1234! The next a few days will not be easy for me in making the decision, I guess...
You make a decision yet?
I have not made the final decision yet, but I will probably go to UT.

Anybody know whether UT has a transfer student facebook page?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm

ilybb wrote:
Anybody know whether UT has a transfer student facebook page?
They did last year.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilybb

New

Post by ilybb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm

After a week of wrestling, I think I will go to UT. Anybody know any housing information or need a roommate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 am

I'm waiting to here back from UT for transfer, I applied super late in game, like a week ago. I haven't heard a peep from them yet.

Needless to say, I have been following this post with great interest.

Why is UT worth the 60K in loans versus no loans?

mustanglaw

New

Post by mustanglaw » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 am

S. Goodman wrote:I'm waiting to here back from UT for transfer, I applied super late in game, like a week ago. I haven't heard a peep from them yet.

Needless to say, I have been following this post with great interest.

Why is UT worth the 60K in loans versus no loans?
That's basically impossible to answer because I think whether UT is worth the extra costs depends largely upon your original school, your situation there, and a number of other personal preferences, aspirations, and miscellaneous factors.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”