Transfer OCI -- how will my GPA be viewed? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zoomzoom88

Silver

Transfer OCI -- how will my GPA be viewed?

Post by zoomzoom88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 am

if I were to participate in OCI at a transfer school would employers assume me to be at median of new school? I currently have a 3.8 ... just wondering if they would even take that into consideration

Jchance

Silver

Re: Transfer OCI -- how will my GPA be viewed?

Post by Jchance » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am

They use ur old GPA for GPA cutoff purposes, but otherwise they view u as either above median or top third at the new school, unless the transfer jump is minimal (like within T14, Michigan to Berkeley)

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:21 am

Jchance wrote:They use ur old GPA for GPA cutoff purposes, but otherwise they view u as either above median or top third at the new school, unless the transfer jump is minimal (like within T14, Michigan to Berkeley)

that actually works out fairly well then for transfers... especially if the jumps are large

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:26 am

Jchance wrote:They use ur old GPA for GPA cutoff purposes,
Theoretically yes they do this, but they also use their cutoff at your old school. This also depends on the recruiter even noticing as they try to trim their stacks of 100s of resumes down.
Jchance wrote:but otherwise they view u as either above median or top third at the new school, unless the transfer jump is minimal (like within T14, Michigan to Berkeley)
I seriously doubt there is enough consistency from firm to firm to make any such generalization.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 am

OP. I recommed not bidding your top spots to firms with medians above 3.50.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zoomzoom88

Silver

Post by zoomzoom88 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:45 am

CounselorNebby wrote:OP. I recommed not bidding your top spots to firms with medians above 3.50.
wouldn't this preclude most v100 nyc firms>?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am

Honestly I think you should 1) seek out past transfers to the school you're targeting and ask how OCI went for them, and/or 2) speak with the adcoms/ call the OCS at the school you plan to transfer to to ask them this question.

I do not think that CN is right in his opinion, but if he is, that is something you need to find out for sure before bidding.

From the people I have spoken to, I will do the same if not better at transfer OCI as I would at my lower t14. However, I realize that that would not hold the same for someone at a t1 or t2 since they don't have predictable OCI cycles.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:OP. I recommed not bidding your top spots to firms with medians above 3.50.
wouldn't this preclude most v100 nyc firms>?
Not at all. It would only preclude most of the V20.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”