Empirical basis for benefit of T1-> T14/T20 transfers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

Empirical basis for benefit of T1-> T14/T20 transfers

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Is there any empirical evidence that transferring have a measurable effect on entry level hiring when you already go to a halfway decent school, toughly T1?

I just don't see why a firm would care that you transferred. I'd treat them the same as if they were at their old school.

shock259

Gold

Re: Empirical basis for benefit of T1-> T14/T20 transfers

Post by shock259 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:51 pm

I posted this in your other thread:
shock259 wrote:Went to lower ranked midwestern T1 that places ~3% in biglaw. Had substantial scholarship. Transferred to CLS, paid sticker, got big firm offer in NYC. Biglaw was almost certainly not going to happen from my old school. My grades weren't good enough and I had no connections. No way I could have been accepted at CLS as a 1L with my UGPA/LSAT. The only reason I got biglaw was because I transferred.

I'd definitely do it over again.
Just to add, I was top ~7-8% at my T1. No NYC biglaw firms even went to my T1's OCI. Regional big firms and national firms with local offices only.

At OCI at CLS, interviewers always mentioned transferring right off the bat. I always explained that I transferred for career reasons. I decided during my 1L that I wanted to do biglaw and biglaw would have been very difficult to get from my old school. All interviewers understood. My stats final OCI stats were something like: ~35 screeners, ~12 CBs, ~10 CBs taken, ~8 offers, ranging from V20-V100 (for what it's worth). I got a couple of CBs from V10 firms but no offers. I expect I was shut out of the top firms mostly because of my grades from the T1.

So grades matter, and your old school definitely matters, but transferring up can give you a huge advantage if you are gunning for a biglaw SA.

Oh, I also mass mailed right after I got accepted to CLS. I mailed basically all biglaw firms in NYC. Even with Columbia on my resume, only a couple ever got back to me, and all but 1 were rejections. If I had stayed at my T1, this would have been my only access to the NYC market (as mentioned, no NYC big firms went to my T1).

TL;DR: transferring gave me access to WAY more screeners, which gave me WAY more CBs, which led to more offers than I would have otherwise managed.

Also, there's some OCI data in one of the transfer stats threads that has more than just anecdotes. It has old school, new school, # of offers, etc.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:58 pm

shock259 wrote: TL;DR: transferring gave me access to WAY more screeners, which gave me WAY more CBs, which led to more offers than I would have otherwise managed.
This. And many of those you'll get interviews with that you wouldn't otherwise get through mass mail, esp. if the new school does lottery interviews. Over half my CBs were lottery pick rather than pre-select.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Transferring markets makes sense. But intra market the same question applies.

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Transferring markets makes sense. But intra market the same question applies.
A lot of the big firms don't refuse to hire people from shitty schools because they're uncomfortable with top grades, crap school, but because clients are. My transfer bestie, who knew the managing partner at the firm where she ultimately ended up, asked him for an interview before she transferred. He flat told her that unless she moved to a better school, he wouldn't even bring her in for an interview. This was with all of her grades back. Anyone who says that you have the same opportunities in the same markets from the TTT school with great grades as you would at the T14 school as a transfer is flat lying or doesn't know what they're talking about. Quit lying, DF. You usually know what you're talking about.

And firms that I ultimately got offers from (through OCI, in the market where both schools are) were firms that I had mass-mailed before transferring and gotten rejections from. It's not just one story from one person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:42 am

Technically DF only mentioned intramarket T1 transfers to T14. If you're an intramarket T2/3/4 transfer to T14, then that makes more sense.

sap, did y'all transfer from an intramarket T1? Or T2?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 am

Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 am

flawschoolkid wrote:Yeah, transferring from GW-> Georgetown or Fordham-> NYU is probably pretty stupid, especially if you loose a scholarship.
Yeah, this.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:41 am

flawschoolkid wrote:Yeah, transferring from GW-> Georgetown or Fordham-> NYU is probably pretty stupid, especially if you loose a scholarship.
What is the reason behind this? Is it because any conferrable advantage of the higher ranked school on OCI outcomes would be negligible since your 1L grades are coming from the lower-ranked school anyway?

Also, assuming COA for both are the same, would transferring within market make sense to have a more prestigious degree at graduation make a difference say 10 years down the line?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am

collegebum1989 wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote: Also, assuming COA for both are the same, would transferring within market make sense to have a more prestigious degree at graduation make a difference say 10 years down the line?
No.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”