employed by school Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

employed by school

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi all. After getting second semester grades back I now want to send out some transfer apps. However, I'm currently employed for the summer by my law school. I didn't think I would try to transfer given my first semester grades so I didn't really think everything through fully.

Essentially, I am worried that if I begin the transfer process, the school will take employment action against me. I understand that if I accept a transfer I will have to quit my job. I am ok with that. I am just worried that by merely starting the process the school would have grounds to terminate my employment.

The only requirement in my actual employment guidelines is that I am a matriculating student, which I will be. Any anecdotal advice here?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: employed by school

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm

it'd be a pretty dick move for your school to terminate your employment just because you APPLIED.

I'm not employed by my school, but my school gives me a stipend (pays me bi-weekly) for working at my summer job. I was worried that i would lose funding or have to pay the money back if I accepted a transfer offer over the summer. I was told that as long as I met the requirements when my position started, they wouldn't cease my funding even if i accepted an offer elsewhere.

Do you know any older students who may know about how it works at your school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

cusenation wrote:it'd be a pretty dick move for your school to terminate your employment just because you APPLIED.

I'm not employed by my school, but my school gives me a stipend (pays me bi-weekly) for working at my summer job. I was worried that i would lose funding or have to pay the money back if I accepted a transfer offer over the summer. I was told that as long as I met the requirements when my position started, they wouldn't cease my funding even if i accepted an offer elsewhere.

Do you know any older students who may know about how it works at your school?
I haven't asked anyone. Maybe I've been too overly cautious about any stigma I'd receive from people at my current school by saying I'm transferring. I guess it happens all the time.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I had the same fears, but nothing happened. I even told financial aid, the professor I'm researching for and my peers. I am also the the top 1% ... however, the school aint tryna increase my school past 35%

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 pm

Start the transfer process and just tell them you're "weighing your options" but that you probably won't transfer. In any case, I really doubt they'll do anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 pm

OP. Thanks everyone! This is making me feel a lot better. I'm ready to start the process head-on.

sap

Bronze

Post by sap » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:59 pm

I transferred. I also worked at my old school until the end of July. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”