Should I transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I transfer?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Top 15% at a solid regional school ranked 35-50. Ultimate goal is either a clerkship or big law. Would transferring be a dumb move given my rank at my current school?

sd5289

Gold

Re: Should I transfer?

Post by sd5289 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Depends on how much you like your school / placement opportunities (e.g. specific placement) at your school. I chose not to. I believe I made a good decision based on the 2L summer jerb I scored and my overall standing even now.

But really, I wouldn't knock the first part. If you're top 15% and like your school (assuming job placement #'s are good), it's a real question about whether to transfer or not. From what I understand from the transfers *to* my school, they kinda had to start over again with rankings. I've pretty much coasted through 2L and am still in the top 15%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks that's a really good point. Thanks for your input. Leaning heavily towards not transferring.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed May 21, 2014 5:53 pm

On the other hand, transferring to a T14 (T13?) might allow you to OCI interview with a much larger group of firms. It's a trade off.

If you would be perfectly happy working in your school's region, and don't have big dreams of NATIONAL PRESTIGE, staying put is a fine option.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Wed May 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Here is my two cents ...

You are only top 15% of your class - it's not as if you're in the top 5%. That being said, the opportunities from your current school are decent, but not "impressive". I have no idea what school you are currently attending, but I would compare the specific employment %'s of your school vs. higher-ranked, plausible-transfer schools.

Top 15% rank from a top-30 school (to T-14) can open doors as a transfer that will remain locked as a top 15%'er at a top-30 school.

So, I would compare the Clerkship %'s, or Biglaw %'s on LST, then apply to schools that have higher %'s to see if you have a shot.

Keep in mind, starting over with a new GPA is not terrifying. You will not be a on a curve and you need only try your hardest as you have been. And, if you do transfer, you receive the benefit of double-dipping in both OCI's.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:47 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:Keep in mind, starting over with a new GPA is not terrifying. You will not be a on a curve and you need only try your hardest as you have been. And, if you do transfer, you receive the benefit of double-dipping in both OCI's.
Re. bolded: I'm not sure that's true for all schools. I'm almost positive our transfers were put on the same curve as the rest of us.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:And, if you do transfer, you receive the benefit of double-dipping in both OCI's.
Only assholes do this. And I'm pretty sure almost zero people do this because the vast majority of people who transfer, do so precisely because their current schools OCI cannot get them where they want to go. I always see mention about "double dipping OCI" but almost positive that no one actually does it because it makes *zero* sense.

jdx2014

Bronze

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Unless you tell us what school to what school (specifics) we can't give you a real honest answer OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 23, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for the input, everyone, I appreciate it. I see where you're coming from--But I feel like if certain "prestigious" firms might not hire me given my current rank and school, would my chances of them hiring me be any different as a transfer since, after all, my prior rank is all that they will have to go off of?

Edit: I just noticed that you're a 1L? Do you know anyone who has transferred or is this all speculation? Any input from someone who has been in my shoes would be great. Also, sorry for not listing my school, but if I did, my anonymity would be shot.
heavoldgotjuice wrote:Here is my two cents ...

You are only top 15% of your class - it's not as if you're in the top 5%. That being said, the opportunities from your current school are decent, but not "impressive". I have no idea what school you are currently attending, but I would compare the specific employment %'s of your school vs. higher-ranked, plausible-transfer schools.

Top 15% rank from a top-30 school (to T-14) can open doors as a transfer that will remain locked as a top 15%'er at a top-30 school.

So, I would compare the Clerkship %'s, or Biglaw %'s on LST, then apply to schools that have higher %'s to see if you have a shot.

Keep in mind, starting over with a new GPA is not terrifying. You will not be a on a curve and you need only try your hardest as you have been. And, if you do transfer, you receive the benefit of double-dipping in both OCI's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

weiweilt

New

Post by weiweilt » Fri May 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Double-dipping both OCIs?

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the input, everyone, I appreciate it. I see where you're coming from--But I feel like if certain "prestigious" firms might not hire me given my current rank and school, would my chances of them hiring me be any different as a transfer since, after all, my prior rank is all that they will have to go off of?

Edit: I just noticed that you're a 1L? Do you know anyone who has transferred or is this all speculation? Any input from someone who has been in my shoes would be great. Also, sorry for not listing my school, but if I did, my anonymity would be shot.
That certainly explains the nonsense about transfers not being on a curve. GTFO 1L. I know that's not true for the transfers who came to my school, and it just seems nonsensical. So I stand by my original statement re. losing your standing if you transfer and having to start over again.

As for your question, it depends on where you're transferring from and where you're transferring to. If you're at a lower ranked school, even top 15% probably isn't good enough to score a 2L SA at a big law firm. If you're top 15% at some of the higher ranked schools, then you have a better shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 26, 2014 9:40 pm

OP here: My school sends around ~15% of the class into either big law or federal clerkships, if that helps.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon May 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: My school sends around ~15% of the class into either big law or federal clerkships, if that helps.
Did you apply and get accepted? If not, apply and then make up your mind after you are accepted. I don't think there is a consensus about transfer advice. So the specific situation matters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon May 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: My school sends around ~15% of the class into either big law or federal clerkships, if that helps.
If your grades don't improve this semester, it's probably going to be tough to crack the T14 (depends on which school b/t 35-50). If you're on big scholarship at your current school, you probably shouldn't leave. If you're paying sticker or close to it, no harm in upgrading and improving your chances (other than the inconvenience of moving/starting over), even at a stronger regional since some will more than double your current odds at biglaw/fed clerk.

So, are you on scholly and how much? What is your target market/s? How does your current school place there? Did you make LR? Have you already started the transfer process as far as LORs and a letter of good standing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 pm

I haven't applied yet. I'm just trying to decide if its even worth the awkwardness of asking profs for LORs, etc. My school is in my target market. Not sure on LR yet. However, my new rank is top 13%. I have a partial scholly, and I'll be graduating with less than 50k in debt. Thus the uncertainty. My sole reason for transferring would be to get big law, which i think I have a pretty decent shot at from my current school/rank.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon May 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't applied yet. I'm just trying to decide if its even worth the awkwardness of asking profs for LORs, etc. My school is in my target market. Not sure on LR yet. However, my new rank is top 13%. I have a partial scholly, and I'll be graduating with less than 50k in debt. Thus the uncertainty. My sole reason for transferring would be to get big law, which i think I have a pretty decent shot at from my current school/rank.
If I were you, I would stay put since you're in your target market and will come out with less than 50k in debt. Transferring is very defensible, but it seems like you don't want to and are just wondering if you should. This isn't a situation where you should definitely leave or definitely stay, so just do what you think is best.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't applied yet. I'm just trying to decide if its even worth the awkwardness of asking profs for LORs, etc. My school is in my target market. Not sure on LR yet. However, my new rank is top 13%. I have a partial scholly, and I'll be graduating with less than 50k in debt. Thus the uncertainty. My sole reason for transferring would be to get big law, which i think I have a pretty decent shot at from my current school/rank.
I think it's worth applying to transfer.

1) You have a shot at biglaw, but not a great one. Your school places 15% in biglaw/academia, but it's not the top 15%. Probably half of those people are going to have killer connections that let them get jobs that are unavailable to you. The remaining 7% are going to be fighting hard for those jobs. You'll have to interview well and hit it off to get something. It's certain possible and you have a chance, but it is a gamble. If you are biglaw or bust, consider that.

2) It's really not awkward at all to ask for LORs. I also thought it was going to be terrible and each professor was very professional and nonchalant about it. They understand.

I think you should apply, see where you get in, calculate the differences in costs of attendance, and consider the career implications.

Best of luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fiona91216

New

Post by Fiona91216 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Apply and ransom your current school for more $$.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 am

I would transfer. GULC, the school that sends the least to BigLaw, still sends just over twice as many students relatively (class of 2013: 37%) as your current school. The numbers at NU, Duke, and Michigan are even higher. You have a chance to crack that lower-T14, so I would apply to all the aforementioned schools. But not Cornell, they don't let transfers do OCI.

Some data on BigLaw rates. http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0429081303

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”