Tansfer Chances to NYU/CLS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tansfer Chances to NYU/CLS

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 17, 2014 11:55 am

At TTTT now with 30k/year.

4.09 1st sem, waiting on 2nd sem grades (but at least LWR should be an A/A- based on scores I have gotten back.) Will have a full ride for next 2 years unless I screwed up.

Can't leave NYC, and Fordham doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle, so NYU and CLS are the only good options?

I've done nothing to start the transfer process as of right now beyond think about it a lot.

Looking for any and all advice - can I get into those schools from my school? If I do, is it an automatic transfer? Am I right about Fordham?

Thanks!

trbrny

Bronze

Re: Tansfer Chances to NYU/CLS

Post by trbrny » Sat May 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At TTTT now with 30k/year.

4.09 1st sem, waiting on 2nd sem grades (but at least LWR should be an A/A- based on scores I have gotten back.) Will have a full ride for next 2 years unless I screwed up.

Can't leave NYC, and Fordham doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle, so NYU and CLS are the only good options?

I've done nothing to start the transfer process as of right now beyond think about it a lot.

Looking for any and all advice - can I get into those schools from my school? If I do, is it an automatic transfer? Am I right about Fordham?

Thanks!
Assuming that you are at a local school, and you kept your grades up, your chances are probably pretty decent. I'm not sure what you're plans are, but if you're thinking biglaw, then you should be seriously thinking about sending out the applications. I would advise at least CLS and NYU, and avoid Fordham. If you want some peace of mind, send an app to Georgetown to give yourself a backup option (although their hiring stats have not been great as of late).

If you are serious about it, you must get working on this ASAP. First, email at least two professors and ask for a meeting to discuss letters of recommendation. Second, go to your registrar as soon as possible and arrange for them to send transcripts to your target school. Finally, begin filling out the apps on LSAC so that you are ready to go as soon as your grades come out.

Even if you ultimately decide not to transfer, I think it would be at least worth the application fee to keep the option open.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 18, 2014 9:06 am

Never heard of a T4 getting into CLS/NYU w/o a perfect GPA (4.0/4.0 or 4.3/4.3). Worth sending an application, but your chances are much greater at the lower-T14 and may want to reconsider your reluctance to leave NYC.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun May 18, 2014 10:51 am

I don't know their transfer preferences, but Penn and Cornell are a lot more manageable a distance to NYC than a lot of North Easterners give it credit for. If its family that keeps you in NYC, you might consider applying to either of those school, compressing your schedule to 2-3 days/papers, and making the trek a few times a month.

It sounds horrible (and it is), but it is totally manageable. I've done similar for NYC/Baltimore and Philly/DC

ETA, you would need a car for Cornell (and somewhere to park it in NY, but the rent for a second place would be much cheaper). Philly is doable (and much more manageable) by Amtrack, but having two rents will suck

trbrny

Bronze

Post by trbrny » Sun May 18, 2014 2:21 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:Never heard of a T4 getting into CLS/NYU w/o a perfect GPA (4.0/4.0 or 4.3/4.3). Worth sending an application, but your chances are much greater at the lower-T14 and may want to reconsider your reluctance to leave NYC.
Not sure what the Gpa scale is, but if you have a 4.09/4.0 my guesses are that you have a pretty good chance.

I would beware of Cornell, I've heard that they don't allow transfers to participate in their full OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 19, 2014 2:02 pm

OP here - thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I should at least try. My grades aren't out for approx. 3 more weeks so I have some time.

As for leaving NYC, it's just not an option due to family concerns, but I appreciate that advice as well.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”