Volatility in the rankings of 1L school and transfer chances Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nervouspervus

New

Volatility in the rankings of 1L school and transfer chances

Post by nervouspervus » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 pm

A big component of a student's transfer app. is the prestige of the school they are transferring from. Now, this leads me to ask: what happens when a 1L's school drops dramatically in the rankings but was a decent school when said 1L matriculated a la W&L. I do not go to one of the aforementioned schools but am just curious in general how much the prestige of a school fluctuates in the eyes of a Transfer ADComm. as is influenced by USNWR. Obviously a school moving up from #30 to #36 or #40 to #45 probably makes no difference. But what about those freak falls mades by schools like W&L? To be in the top 5% at a T-30 gives a transfer obviously a much better chance at CCN or even H than it does to be in the top 5% at a t-45. Or does it not matter beyond historical demarcations (i.e. school A is traditionally thought of as a T-20 even if it drops to #22 for a year) /less tangible concepts of prestige (word of mouth reputation etc)? I guess what I am trying to ask is, how do ADComms asses the prestige of a school, especially considering how wonky USNWR can be sometimes?

user outed and warned for unnecessary anon and posting in the transfer forum as an 0L

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Volatility in the rankings of 1L school and transfer chances

Post by rpupkin » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm not a law school admissions officer, but I would be extremely surprised if USNWR ranking mattered at all when considering whether to accept or reject a transfer applicant. Law school admissions offices have long-held views about the respective quality of various law schools. The fluctuations--even large fluctuations--in a magazine's largely arbitrary ranking system are unlikely to have an effect on transfer admissions decisions.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm

They care about 3 major things with transfers:

1) How will they fair on OCI and thus for their ABA employment statistics upon graduation
2) How will they add something positive or unique to the community - a la great LORs, great PS, interesting softs etc.
3) Grades in doctrinal courses and rank.

If you are strong in all three areas you have a good shot at moving up

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:35 am

patogordo wrote:no

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:They care about 3 major things with transfers:

1) How will they fair on OCI and thus for their ABA employment statistics upon graduation
2) How will they add something positive or unique to the community - a la great LORs, great PS, interesting softs etc.
3) Grades in doctrinal courses and rank.

If you are strong in all three areas you have a good shot at moving up
For the OPs perspective I'm going to order these in how much they factor into transferring.

1) Grades in Doctrinal classes is ~93% of the decision
2/3) How they will fair at OCI, Interesting softs is ~7%
Last edited by Nebby on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:30 am

W&L was a decent school...? The ranking reflects the issues that were always inherent in a school of that size and in that location: no urban geographic market, lack of access to resume enhancing externships during the year, small alumni base, poor employment placement, etc. There are quite a few W&L students on here with your view but please recognize that almost all of you came to that opinion due to the enormous scholarship packages that W&L offers -- so much so that many of you with plans to work in urban markets throughout the United States were willing to overlook its lack of national portability. It's amazing how scholarship money becomes instant justification for something that has always been and will always be what it is:

A strong rural school that is competitively disadvantaged due to its location and corresponding placement rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”