Getting summer jobs after transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Regulator

Getting summer jobs after transfer?

Postby The Regulator » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 pm

I plan on transferring to a T1 from a T3. I was wondering if anyone found it difficult to get jobs at large firms after transferring when still relying in 1L grades? thought?

echooo23

Re: Getting summer jobs after transfer?

Postby echooo23 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:50 am

I think the bigger problem is not that your 1L grades are from a T3, but rather that jobs at "large firms" (I assume you mean biglaw) are extremely scarce even from a T1. Depends somewhat on how far into the T1 and which school specifically, but in general your chances of getting biglaw at a T1 will be slim to none.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:51 am

get ready to mass mail.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:42 am

patogordo wrote:get ready to mass mail.

This.

I've had extensive conversations with students that have transferred from my T2 to T14 and they all commented that they got more OCIs than most of the students who were 1Ls originally at the T14. Had a friend go from T2 to UPenn and get 30 OCIs with 11 callbacks, 4 offers. Another went to GULC and got 19 OCIs with 7 or 8 callbacks.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 am

CounselorNebby wrote:
patogordo wrote:get ready to mass mail.

This.

I've had extensive conversations with students that have transferred from my T2 to T14 and they all commented that they got more OCIs than most of the students who were 1Ls originally at the T14. Had a friend go from T2 to UPenn and get 30 OCIs with 11 callbacks, 4 offers. Another went to GULC and got 19 OCIs with 7 or 8 callbacks.

What does this have to do with mass mailing? Most T14 schools use a straight lottery system to divvy up on campus interviews, so getting more OCIs doesn't say anything.

OP depending on your situation it may not make sense to transfer to a T1. You may find the job prospects aren't any better for you and the cost could be much higher. Just gun hard this semester and see where you end up.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:What does this have to do with mass mailing?

It doesn't. I should have specified that my recommendation was to mass mail separate from any OCI stuff.

Return to “Transfers”